MIL Why is military service good?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I have my reasons for joining, but my best friend decided after 18 years not to join because his girlfriend threatens to break up with him if he does. (Love, right?)

Can you guys give me some good strong argument points about why military service is a good and honorable thing to do?

(If you have negative things to say, don't bother posting in my thread please.)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. Rus1987

Rus1987 Guest

Part of what makes this country so great is the volonteer military service. you are not forced to join. A good reason to join would be to get a chance to protect your family, rights and your own freedom. So many people joined and laid down their life just so we get to enjoy the freedoms that are available to us today. The least we can do is join to continue keeping those freedoms available to us, that way the sacrifices of people that were KIA are not in vain

PS. before you say i am a hyppocrite for not joining myself... i am joining Airforce as soon as i turn 18

3. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Thats the dumbest fucking reason for not joining I've ever heard. Shame one of my friends used the same excuse.

Its always painful to watch people throw away a great thing on the basis on a high school relationship which isn't going to last all that long anyways.

4. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

Maybe he'll join soon as his highschool relationship ends. Probably gonna be a couple years later at the most, and it'll give him some time to decide whether or not he really wants to do it.

5. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

First, it gives you a jumpstart into manhood. He apparently needs this if he is such a punk that he will let his HS girlfriend dicatate decisions that will have serious impact on his life.

Second, you will become part of a brotherhood. You will go through training, living together, etc.. with other people who become forever bonded through common experience. Unlike his Girlfriend who will most likely break up with him and forget his stupid ass in a few years as she's guzzling another cock.

Third, the honor of serving your country. This is not something that can be described in a sentence. The fact is that you will become part of the heritage of honor that is defending our country. Freedom will forever tast sweeter when you have experienced the struggle to maintain it.

There are of course the selfish reasons as well, (salary, health care, GI Bill, college fund, etc..).

6. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

Tell him this:

The military will make or break your relationship. If it's truley "meant to be" or whatever, your relationship will be fine. It will actually make it stronger. But if your relationship is bullshit to begin with, then it's going to end.

7. All good answers so far, but let's not forget the more practical reasons -- job/life experience and educational benefits.

Too many high school grads piss away the first few years after graduating working for a fast food chain or convenience store or something like that. A big reason is that many of them just don't know what they want to "do" with their lives. Another is they are trying to go to college full time and these types of jobs have schedules that are more compatible with their schedule. The military can help in both of those areas. If you are interested in a certain field, then talk to a recruiter and he will help you. Yes, there are recruiters that will lie to you to meet their quota. That's why you talk with several of them as well as people you know that have former military experience. When you finally do sign up, then be sure to opt for the Montgomery G.I. Bill. For the first year of service $100 a month is taken out of your paycheck. You are then vested and can use it when you go to college. There are stipulations, like I think it won't pay for private schools, will only pay for up to a Bachelor's Degree, and you only have like 10 years to use it, but overall it's a hell of a deal unless your parents are independantly wealthy and can afford to foot your college bill.

I know several people who served a few years, then got out and went to school. With the help of the G.I. Bill, they were able to afford to take a full schedule of classes and work part time somewhere and still live comfortably. Not only that they had the maturity and focus that they lacked before joining the service to actually stay in school and not screw around so much they flunked out or got kicked out.

Add that to the fact that while you're in, the service pays all of your medical expenses (as well as any dependants), and has a bunch of stuff you can get for free that you would normally have to pay for in the civilian world. Gym memberships and tax preparation are just a couple. You won't pay any sales tax on groceries bought at the commisary (grocery store) or any merchandise bought at the post/base exchange (basically a huge Wal-Mart). This is a huge help because you won't exactly get rich on what the military pays you -- of course you won't end up a destitute bum, either, unless you piss all your money away on hookers and vodka. I believe all service members are getting a pay raise this year, too.

There are many fringe benefits that make this a great option for young men and women. No, I am not a recruiter.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It would depend on what the military that you are joining is up to. Would anyone argue that joining the German Army was a good thing to do in 1938, because it was the patriotic duty of every German to do so? I sure as fuck wouldn't...

For instance, for me:

Joining US Army to fight Hitler: Good
    Joining US Army to fight in Vietnam: Bad

Each person would have to make their own personal decision here, but unless you think your government is infallible, then there can be no basic good in military service.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Gulf War 1 defended Kuwait. How is that defending America?

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

If not a lot of people join the military just because they don't like a war (which is what is happening now), other countries will look at this as a weakness and possibly attack us while we are weak. Can't bail out on America during the bad times!

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And just the opposite is true: when nations see the military of the US swell, tensions grow... because it must be growing for something ;)

12. Socrates

Socrates New Member

A reason for the US military to grow fast enough to be noticed could not possibly be kept secret. I don't see how our military getting bigger would cause a scare in the world, because we could ruin anybody right now!!!!111

13. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

What are you talking about? Historically, our military has grown during war time and shrunk during peace.

14. Justin

Justin Guest

all politics aside, the military is a good thing. military training gives young men character, discipline, confidence, and a can-do attitude that's loved by private employers.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It also grows before we intend to use it. A la pre-WW2. A la pre-War-On-Terror.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I guess so. And I suppose they've embraced the whole, "Army of One" thing... but I'm not so certain that all kinds of employers want intense conformity in an employee. I'm not sure that kinda thing is conducive to creativity, for instance.

And I've known guys that came out of the Marines as pure psychopaths, worse than when they went in... they probably made good Marines, but the negative aspects of their personalities were amplified because they were normalized.

17. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

Actually, joining the military in most cases would make a person more sensitive the the fallibility of their government. Therefore they would participate in the process more to try and ensure they or their fellow soldiers are not put into harms way for weak reasons.

Additionally, you shouldn't join the military to fight against anybody. You should join out of a concern for you county and the desire to take part in maintaining the current freedoms you enjoy. Relizing that part of that may involve fighting in a war.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And if you're certain that joining will involve you in wars that have nothing to do with the freedom of Americans?

19. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

it's shortsighted to look at it that way. of course there isn't going to be a purely defensive war fought anytime soon, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the military actions we are taking part in are still protecting US national interests.

20. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

A little History:

WWII: 1939 - 1945
    US Troop level 1940: 234,000
    US Troop level 1945: ~6 Million

The Build-up occured after the war started, recall we didn't get involoved until almost 2 years into it.

As for troop levels Pre war on terror...what levels are you speaking of?

http://www.defenselink.mil/prhome/docs/numgoals05.pdf

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

US troop levels and military spending increased before the war. After WWI, things were REALLY pathetic. As to the war on terror, I'm speaking of military spending.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

National Interests != National Security

It might be in the National Interest to enslave everyone that isn't an American, but you're hardly protecting American freedoms if you fight to do so.

23. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Nice thread hijack. :ugh2:

Military gives you a way to gain experience and training and maturity - three things that employers get wet dreams over!

24. Justin

Justin Guest

does your employer make you do stupid things? in the military you're trained to carry out orders immediately and willingly. i don't see anything wrong with this. "illogical" and "difficult but doable" are two different things.

in the military, everyone is a leader in some way. leaders have to make their own decisions, depending on how high up they are on the chain of command.

25. deestillballin

deestillballin New Member

Wow im glad I caught this tread. I recently joined the Navy and I ship out in July.

But vwjustin is right, from what ive learned in DEP, its all about leadership, hopefully my leadership skills can get me very high rank soon, and much more $$ ;)