Why is it that when somone asks..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Celexa, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Celexa

Celexa To die with honor when one can no longer live with

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

1) No one knows that you're doing it legitimately. Most of the people wanting to copy DVD's do it to get free movies from their friends.

2) DVD's don't wear from being played like a tape or LP does.

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i just got a dvd burner too, a NEC-1300A something-or-other. DVD X Copy XPress v3.0.2 works perfectly using default settings. i made a copy of one of my dvds and watched it in my player, everything seems a-ok :big grin:

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There is a line that we should not cross - and that is when it comes down to illegal activities. Discussing copying techniques is not illegal, if it were all those programs out there that do it would be breaking the law. I agree that every topic should be allowed to progress until someone crosses that line. Anyone who locks a thread about copying DVD's or trading MP3's (perfectly legal to trade Public Domain MP3's) is being trigger happy and is not following the intent of your duties. That is like locking every thread about NO2 because it COULD be used for street racing, nevermind it could also be used for legal drag racing. Or how bout we ban all talk of firearms, pot (I mean come on - there's an official pot thread active every day in the main forum that has nothing to do with the medicinal uses of it), turn off the hotties forum again.

It's not your job to assume the intent of a question.

/end soapbox

7. CompiledMonkey

This forum is not the main forum. If you want to discuss illegal things (not speaking about any previous thread), do so there. I personally stand by my lock and feel like I have good reason to do so. I would rather play it safe in the forum I moderate than get in some BS because of a user talking about burning DVDs.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Come on, that's a load of shit and you know it. Are you legally responsible for what goes on here? Of course not. You can't be held responsible for what someone else says. Before anyone can give you shit for anything you "allow", one would have to prove intent. You simply can't do that unless someone says, "I downloaded some movie off of Kazaa and now I want to burn it." Even then they can't do shit about it unless they NAME the movie they downloaded and it turns out to be a copywrited. AND there is still some controversy over whether burning a copy of a movie YOU OWN that you downloaded is illegal.

Like I said, it is not your job to assume intent. Otherwise I would have to ask the question of how my assistance is going to be used. Sure the guy may simply be asking how to setup his wireless network, but what if it turns out that he is stealing someone elses bandwidth? I can give you a thousand different scenarios that would essentially lock EVERY thread in this forum if you subscribe to the 'playing it safe" mandate.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i agree with CompiledMonkey.

its the CYA rule. Cover Your Ass.
    since he is "in charge" (al-la mods it) this forum, its his resposibility that nothing illegal, or potentially illegal is discussed here.

if i was in his (or any other mod's) id be locking topics that did fall under the potentailly illegal just to cover my ass, and not get in shit.

since we have become a society where we have to look out for others 1st, then ourselves, this is an approach most people will take.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

I will be reporting every possible thread that refers to potential illegal activities, because as a member of this board if I choose to do nothing about someone possibly breaking the law, I could be accused of non-involvment.

Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

11. drgh0st

drgh0st New Member

I will be getting a DVD burner but I don't be doing any DVD burner or any burner for that matter. I'm not a big fan of burning stuff anymore.

12. CompiledMonkey

5Gen, lets not get all excited about this. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm not saying you don't have valid points, because you do. I know if I had a DVD burner I'd certainly be burning DVDs I rented or bought. But I wouldn't ask questions about doing so here.

Part of our "job" as your like to call it is to take care of Fazle's personal interests. This sort of discussion easily can lead to different things (where to get rips, etc) and we're obligated to do what it takes to end it. If this did lead to talks of where to get ripped DVDs, Fazle could get into serious trouble. So I felt it best to end the discussion now. If you have any problem with the way things are handled, your best option is to email Fazle yourself and express your feelings.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

I've been around this board and its parent board long enough to know that Fazle does not want to run a board that is overly policed. It is what separates this board from others. I have no intention of taking this to Fazle since I honestly don't believe it's that big of a deal, and he's got better things to deal with. I just ask all of the mods to consider his intentions before locking a thread. I never argued about locking a thread that WOULD get Fazle or anyone else on the board in trouble, my concern is that you are using the word COULD. It's a fine line between protecting someone's interests and censorship. The facts at hand point to you crossing it.

14. Nocera

Nocera ...

Ok... As someone who works in Intellectual Property, I will say that CompiledMonkey did the right thing. Part of my duties at work is to monitor hacking forums for anything illegal and report everything which could even come close to being actionable. Now, with the MPAA and RIAA, they have people monitoring literally 1000's of message boards. 2003 is not a good year for such talk online. We're chosen as mods to protect Fazle's best interest. And with the current situation involving Intellectual Property on the web, it's in his best interest to stop any threads that could progress to the point of discussing illegal dvd copying or mp3 trading. Yes, you can argue that any thread can progress to such a level. But let's be realistic here for a moment... Issues with Intellectual Property are more rigorously investigated nowadays. I don't think Fazle wants anymore cease and desist letters.

15. 5Gen_Prelude

Let me make this perfectly clear: It is NOT an offense to copy a DVD. It is NOT an actionable offense that will be red flagged. At least not until Intellectualy property has been compromised. If you don't see this, then I can't make you see it. I have given every possible logical point I can come up with and you have failed to convince me that the use censorship to prevent possibile litigation is a positive thing for anyone.

Not convinced? Ask Fazle on behalf of the people who share my viewpoint and if he says, "Yes feel free to lock any threads that could possibly lead to illegal activities.", I will drop it. Sound fair?

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Mixed feelings here. If its blatant and obvious, then yes, I'll lock. As for the case of this thread, its pretty tough. On the one hand, it perfectly legal to make "backups", but not of Blockbuster DVDs. To say if you're going to be backing up your DVDs or Blockbuster's can't be determined in a simple message forum.

My personal opinion would be kill all DVD ripping/burning questions. They're usually pretty silly like, "how do I burn this?" or "what should I use to make [dvd]?" If you don't know, there's google. Plain and simple. But thats my opinion...

17. CompiledMonkey

5Gen, I think you know how each person that has replied feels about this subject. Like I've previously said, if you want to express your feelings, send Fazle an email. Continuing in this channel of communication will accomplish nothing.

18. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

100% agreed

19. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:eek3:

20. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

:narc:

21. CyberBullets

if u re-arrange the letters from his name u can get:

Nocera = Narc!! :eek3:

22. 5Gen_Prelude

That's why I felt it was better coming from you, not me. Fazle is not going to go against his mods unless his mods go to him for further clarification. If you don't want to admit you are wrong, then so be it.

23. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

24. Celexa

Celexa To die with honor when one can no longer live with

1)

"innocent until proven guilty"

i know i am new to burning cds/dvds.. i havent encountered problems yet. but if i did.. i trust this forum.. this is where i would ask a question and expect an honest/knowlegeble answer.

i agree with gen5 the mods should go to Fazle for futher clarification on this. If he feels that you are playing it safe by locking all threads regarding copying dvd's.. then we will abide by it.

i read the computer forum to "LEARN" there isn't much chance of it if a discussion is not allowed.

2)

"expensive" dvd's scratch... computer companies use this as a selling point. im sure they are not held responsible for advocatin theft of intellectual propery.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  25. CyberBullets

i have returned many scratched cd's and dvd's to the manufactur (with POP) and they will gladly send u a replacement.

ive had a win98se cd shatter on me, i called MS, mailed them my POP with the shattered cd, i had a new cd by the next week!