MMA Why is it that if you train in anything at all...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sirc, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

You're automatically an "MMA fighter" guy?

MMA != a style.

2. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

i guess

3. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

?¿

4. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I doubt someone whos a TKD or Judo or BJJ only person would consider themselves an MMA fighter. Or do you mean an MMA fan?

5. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

Ignorance, the "OMG hai2u mma gai!" mob mentality bullshit really irks me. It's like the faggots who show up to ANY Martial Arts school hoping to become the next big MMA dude. Then takes 2 lessons and shows up in Fairtex shorts and wearing level-4 6oz MMA gloves and a Gracie rashguard... to his Karate class.

6. DooDoobutter

DooDoobutter New Member

It's kind of expected seeing how MMA is so huge now. You would not believe the amount of idiots that show up in bars claiming they're MMA fighters and how they're going to fight in the UFC or some crock like that.

7. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

fuckin :werd:

i've had a guy try to convince me that he's "4 to 6 months away from the UFC," and then listed the styles he trains in. he pretty much named everything under the sun, ranging from kung fu to aikido to bjj.

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

:rofl: i HATE guys who do that. I mean its hard enough for some people to cross train 2 things, but to list like 70 different TMAs... cmon

9. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Cross training the gym and bjj is hard enough.......I am 4-6 months away from the UFC as well.....

in 2025....LOL

10. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I live 10 minutes away from ultimate fitness in bettendorf iowa. I know exactly what you mean. someone spends a week in there and they come out talking like tim sylvia and them are best friends

11. DooDoobutter

DooDoobutter New Member

My favorites are the ones that train in some weird ass kung fu art or whatever, and they claim their master/sensei/teacher can beat up someone like chuck lidell but chooses not to. :ugh2:

12. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

i always tell my friends that crocop and fedor are the number 3 and 2 hw fighters in the world, after me of course. but of course, there's a difference between those that are joking around and those that believe the bs that comes out of their mouth. btw, i'm buying a sledgehammer tomorrow to start my 3 year mission to fight fedor :o

13. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

youre only a MMA fighter if you compete in MMA rules match, doesnt matter if you crosstrain in 12 diff martial arts.

14. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

Yep. You're not an MMA fighter until you've actually gone and done a fight (amateur/pro, I don't think it matters).

This is like all the ricer fags with their dropped Civics on 18"s and a parkbench spoiler calling themselves racers even though they have no idea where the nearest track is.

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I think MMA could be a 'style' nowadays... If an athlete's only goal is to become an MMA fighter they could learn things pulled from all of the arts that would apply to the mma game.
    You could learn Jiu jitsu and leave out all the collar chokes, hip escape while defending a punch. Learn boxing/muay Thai with a stance and awareness of defending/executing a takedown. Someone could actually become a very successful fighter and never truly master a single founding art.

16. Kuet

Kuet New Member

you gotta LOT of pent-up anger dude
    my advice, just pay for sex already......

17. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah it's pretty annoying but it comes with the rise in popularity. let 'em have their fake glory and know that in the end, YOU are the one going and putting the sweat and blood down on the mats. it's a waste of energy to try to worry too much about what some dipshit is doing and saying to feel like a cool guy.