GUN Why is it so hard to find a p99?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by purebad, Dec 26, 2008.

1. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

I have been to several stores in search of a p99, not the compact version. I really like the style and I want to find a shop where I can atleast handle one before I drop the dough on it, the guy at the last shop I was at said they just never caught on and can't sell'em. Why the p99 hate?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

They're not very popular (what dealer wants a gun on their shelf for months), walther never really has pushed them in the US in terms of getting any leo customers or advertising, they're not imported regularly and availability can be spotty, there aren't many accessories out for them (buyer aside, less incentive for the dealer to stock them), the price has been up in recent months, the main one pushed for import is the crappy QA trigger....is that enough? :big grin:

3. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

High price point.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Recoil on the .40 S&W version is brisk to the point that the mag likes to eject on a trajectory intersecting your nuts.

Probably a good gun in 9mm - about the size of the G19 with contours making it much easier to conceal.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/2723; U; en))

AS trigger is hella gay

6. bursty

bursty New Member

picard

7. johan

johan Active Member

my buddy has one. He loves it.

I stay away from the thing.

Unless you like the "mystique" (questionable at best, in my view) I don't see any compelling draw.
    And price, although high-ish, has no bearing in my low opinion of it.

Apparently the marketplace has voted similarly.

8. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

I love my P99. It was hard to find but I managed to get one locally. I let some guy at the range shoot it today and he shot out the 10 ring from the target at about 23'. After playing around with 3 extra grips, my favorite is middle size. It's narrow at the neck and the bottom posterior curve is more pronounced. I'd say the Wilson ADP grip is similar. So far I'm impressed. No reliability issues and fires anything I feed it accurately. The only problem I have is the polymer grip is a little slick. I installed a hougue handall grip today which should take care of this problem. Anyway, it's a quality piece and do not regret buying it even without firing it first.