Why is it so fucking difficult to setup a wireless internet connection :mad:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marcos, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

:rant2: :rant2: :rant2: I've tried every setting im sure. The laptop was connecting perfect yesterday. Then i switched it off, went to bed, tried to go online today and wireless has fucked itself for no reason :dunno: I get nothing. Only way i can connect is through wire.

There must be some kind of trouble shooting guide online that covers every single checkpoint for setting this thing up. Sometimes it will run for months without trouble then for no reason at all its like the settings reset themselves or something :confused:, except nothing is changed in the settings :dunno:

Let me make the question more clear:

Is there a checklist for all the wireless settings i would need to have correct in order for the connection to work?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Easy as fuck on Mac OS 10.3 :fawk:

3. samm

samm Next in Line

^ I agree. I've been using my airport card for 4 years in my powerbook and have never had a problem setting up my wireless network at home, or using other wireless networks. This sounds like a windows problem and not a wireless internet problem.

4. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Anyone seen a checklist?

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

The most common problem I've seen with wireless setup is a Windows Service called "Wireless Zero Configuration" or something to that effect. If this service is enabled and you are using the software that came with your wireless hardware you WILL have conflicts.

I recommend using the software that came with your wireless equip. unless you have SP2 which has an improved setup - in that case uninstall the software that came with your hardware and use the XP config.

I've had issues with this service in SEVERAL networks, it always fixes it when I disable it.

6. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I have a laptop with no wi-fi software, although i can safely say the wireless worked flawlessly for at least 2 months at one point. So i dont think i need drivers or anything. Must be just some setting i cant find.

Slid, are you a network engineer or something? Maybe you know of a checklist i can look at that list all the settings i need to go over :dunno:. I think this is such a simple but useful idea that must have been thought of before

7. Brian

Brian New Member

word up 2 that
    ibjustgotapowerbookandits10xeasyerthanxp

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

No engineer here - another thing to check is the firmware on your router. If that is all up to date then it's possible that your ISP is dropping the connection every so often and your router just gets all confused.

I've had periods of time where I'd constantly drop my internet connection then other times where it is solid for months. Are you dropping internet or just the wireless connection? Another thing you could check is power settings for your wireless card/chip. Make sure that power management for the device is turned off (Windows could shut it off to conserve power - you don't want that.) There's no checklist that I know of.

If you are going for months at a time without problems then I doubt it is a hardware or a software issue. Phones, microwaves and other such things can effect your signal as well. If you are in an apartment/condo or live close to others they may be disrupting your signal.

Theres a lot that plays into it.

I myself prefer wired to wireless because it is more stable but for home wireless is usually the way to go.

Goodluck.

9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Only thing I don't like about OS X is that it can't handle WEP encryption correctly. Maybe I was using an older version of the OS (I know it was X =/ ) but I could not for the life of me get an iBook to connect to a keyed network, apple uses some other type of encryption method and it is lame.

10. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

No connection troubles at all, wired always works, no drop-outs, signal is always excellent, nothing around to upset the signal, i do have a cordless phone but like i said the router has worked find next to it for months at a time :dunno:
    Power management is off, my 2 neighbours dont have wireless, the firmware has been upgraded to latest a month or 2 ago.

Im almost certain it is something in the TCPIP and router settings, but i havent changed anything myself. Yesterday i didnt get a good IP address from the router automatically, so i put all the IP info manually and still nothing. So i disable WEP on both devices, still nothing

Any IP settings info?

11. samm

samm Next in Line

It works fine. Airport has been 802.11 compliant since 1999.

12. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

one of the most common mistake that i've done while setting up wireless is typing the wrong wep encryption thing.....so if you can see the network but cant connect, try disabling encryption, and see if you can connect, if you can...chances are its the encryption part that u messed up on

13. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

WEP is garbage anyway. I'm waiting until netgear is selling WPA2 enabled routers to go wireless.

14. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

My WEP is disabled so that isnt the problem :( I havent tried connecting since i posted this thread,

15. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Try enabling WEP - I've had better (pc) connections through WEP probably cuz the wireless card will always choose a WEP network over a non-wep, so it doesn't really look for anything else that could knock you off.

I assume you have access to your router admin panel? From 192.168.1.1 (or whatever it is for your network). If you don't know what I'm talking about then it is possible that someone logged into your router, changed the settings and your password :)

Try a hard reset on the router (reset button on the back), hold it in for ~10 secs.

16. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I personaly hate the wireless manager that is built into windows. I use the one that came with my cheap ass trendnet card and I love it. When I tried to upgrade to serive pack 2 it broke this program though, so I had to downgrade back to SP1. :o

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you insist on using your wireless cards wireless config utility, run a search on this forum to disable the Windows wireless config utility so you can use the cards util again. The add-on config util and Windows' one do not get along together. I found out the hard way, but for me Windows does the job fine... Just FYI.

18. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

I've been using generic HK wifi cards for more than a year now, and they work better/out perform brnad name cards :dunno: (eg Cicso "Aironet" vs eBay/HK "Xtera-Sys")

19. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

I never had a problem setting up a wireless network with windows XP before. Dlink 802.11b router and Dlink 802.11b cards on the computers

20. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I called up linksys tech support. he told me to change some channels, check some IPs and now its working. Do they use a program or something that troubleshoots for them? And then they tell you what to do?

21. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

They know what they're talking about, on occassion :hsugh: