Why is it so difficult to sell a 250 cc bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JS1, Jun 19, 2007.

1. JS1

JS1 sup

I own a Suzuki 250 cc cruiser when I first learned to ride. Now I ride a Yamaha YZF 600cc.

When I lived in Greenville, SC, I advertised in the newspaper and Cycle Trader but got only one call. I had to move, so I put it up for consignment at a Suzuki dealer. No calls, and it's been three months!

I know 250's aren't the most popular size, but it's as if no new riders in Greenville County (300,000 people) are taking the advice of buying a used 250 cc bike to start with.

Any ideas?

If I donate it to MSF, can I deduct it as a charitable contribution?

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

Because a 250cc cruiser is probably one of the worst ideas known to man. Cruisers are slow from the get-go, so people outgrow those things in literally a week. My first bike was a 450cc Rebel, and I tell you, I couldn't wait to get a new bike. Not your fault for buying it, but it's a sad fact that those bikes are highly undesirable. You try posting it on craigslist.org? A lot of the people on there are a little off I've noticed, and they tend to buy things that other people won't. You could also try eBay to span that gigantic user base. eBay sold my old Honda 750 first run, so I have faith in their motorcycle sales ability.

3. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Asking price might have something to do with it.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Consignments are usually bad ideas because the dealership is going to mark it up to get their cut and that usually pushes it well above the average price for non dealer sales.

250 cruisers are a specialty niche too. Beginners and female riders tend to be the ones to market to (although with gas prices, intown commuters are starting to look at the 250s)

5. toezter

toezter New Member

the GZ 250?!! i heart that bike! i hopped on that right away at the MSF class. would i buy one? maybe...great city commuter bike. i would post up adds around a college campus.

6. athan

athan Guest

gas mileage isn't worth the inability to accelerate and travel comfortably at highway speeds.

7. auto

auto New Member

There is no doubting a 250cc bike is a great learner/first bike. That being said this is America where bigger is better. Lower the price and hope for the best I guess. Good luck with the sale.

8. Gek

Gek Go for broke

why oh why don't they bring the aprilia 250 here to the states

9. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Europe always gets the cool stuff :squint:

10. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

After riding the 250 in the MSF course, I tried a Suzuki GS500, and it was just right as my first bike. A 250cc ride for me isn't powerful enough to scoot around through LA traffic. My GS500 on the other hand is just right. I'm getting really comfortable with the engine power, but now want more, for straight light acceleration! On the highway the 500 feels unstable, prolly because it's so damn light. I can't imagine a 250 on the highways here in LA.

11. JohnnyBeagle

JohnnyBeagle OT Supporter

i want a ninja 250

12. dew

dew Banned

i want a 250 :dunno:

13. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

my EX250 is plenty stable up to the 100mph max speed... and that's even though the front end is dropped a decent bit.