SRS Why is everyone so fuckin greedy come Xmas time?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Dec 21, 2006.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

"What do you want for Xmas?"

"What do you want for Xmas?"

This is all I hear - and how about "nothing!";)

Saying "its the season to give" is a bunch of bullshit as far as Im concerned. Now, I'm not disregarding the people who actually do give, because (like myself included), I know there are still a lot of people who see xmas the way I do and give their generousity to the people less fortunate.

All I care about is to spend time with family and see other people happy. It makes my day when I can make some little kid smile, knowing they will actually wake up to presents on Xmas day. I think a lot of society tend to overlook the importance of family and having a mommy and daddy. There are so many kids out there who dont even have a single parent to look up to, spend time with, talk to and so on.

Every year, I always donate food to the food back, and try my best to spare at least a few hours at the shelter. Now, I know its not for everyone, and it is quite sad what goes on in those places, in fact very sad and disheartening. Last year, I spent my xmas eve afternoon (by myself) at the Childrens hospital. And yes, thats right alone, because nobody wanted to come along to make someone elses day, as they would rather play video games, play on the computer, pick their nose or whatever. :rolleyes:Even though it was a sad place to be, it made me happy seeing the kids smile. I mean, so many of them were so sick, being there for months and not being well enough to at least go home for xmas to see their family...that is very hard for a young child to go through.

Heck, between my sisters and brother in laws, we dont even exchange gifts anymore, and for a couple reasons. But its mainly because we all see Xmas as this overhyped, overexxagerated holiday. We couldnt care less what we get, in fact none of us expect anything. We just buy for mom and dad, and thats whats most important to us.

Every single year is the same bullshit. People want this, people want that. If you are a young kid I can understand getting what you want - as I still believe Xmas is great for kids. But adults? You wont believe, how many people I know who get all discouraged if they dont get what they want. :ugh:

I mean this guy I work with, he seemed so shocked when I told him, my family doesnt exchange gifts anymore. He was like "and everyone is ok with it?" Im like "uhh, why wouldnt we be?" :hsugh: Then of course his response was "Ya Im sick of people just giving me anything....just give me what I want and Im happy." :ugh2:

If someone gives you socks why bitch about it? At least they gave you something and its the thought that counts. But unfortunately, Xmas has become too much of a materialistic holiday.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  2. 7960

7960 New Member

asking what you want isn't being greedy

now that that's clear, I expect my wife to get me something she thinks I'll like and I do the same for her. I don't want a list of stuff so i can go buy what's on the list. I used to do that and it sucked. Now I carry a paper in my wallet and during the year when she says "I'd like that" or "that's be cool/neat/nice/convenient/etc" I write it down and in december I pick the one or two I'm going to do. This year it's a gardening table...she had back surgery and was bummed she wouldn't be able to bend to garden so I'm making a exterior-grade table she can put her plants/herbs/veggies on. It's thoughtful...THAT'S what christmas is about.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:cool: I am so doing that next year. Awesome idea.

I can't comment about the thread because Christmas is present day to us, it holds absolutely no religious meaning.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It doesn't have to be this way. If you give something truelly with the love of your heart, you have grasped the true Christmas Spirit. Any selfless act of love will do.

5. Reloe

Reloe New Member

see my family are mostly christians and it is seen as christs Birthday rather then just an excuse to give people meaninglyss presents (we do give presents but we dont make a big thing about it).

im christmas is a family time where you buy each other stuff which you think will make each other smile and just have an enjoyable day as such.

i think what jakobwithaK said about going to childrens hospitals and stuff like that is a really nice idea, we usually give money to the salvation army so that homeless peopel can have a place to sleep for the night and have a decent meal which i think is generally easier for most people since childrens hospitals and shelters aint the most plesent of places but at least they can help with monetary donations.

6. teo

teo . => ? => !

I'm not a fan of the rampant consumerism, though I'm more perturbed by the rapid decline of Christmas spirit - you don't see the small favours accorded to you by complete strangers any more; it's the usual "look out for #1 at the expense of all else" crap that you see the rest of the year. Unfortunately it seems that many kids are learning their morals and standards from the squawkbox instead of at their parents' knees so I don't see this getting any better any time soon.

I just do unto others as I'd have done unto me. At least *I* have Christmas spirit. What else can I do? :hs:

When my bro was sick in the hospital over Christmas, Christmas was moved to the hospital. My bro had a stocking hung on the IV stand and everything :rofl:

7. johan

johan Active Member

There ARE people in the world who are not like that, you know.
    Not everyone is caught up in the sham. :)

Enjoy the holidays anyways...

8. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

I know, thats why I said that in the beginning - yes there is still a lot of unselfish people out there.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

I posted this one year and 3 weeks ago.
    I'm looking foward to next week to see what they did :wiggle:.

10. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I always ask what people want during the holiday season

I mean, I give throughout the year..but the holiday season is always a little 'extra love and care'

I usually give to people i don't know though....kids in the neighborhood, womens' shelters, boys and girls club

I'm not one to give to family members because we have each other and we don't need anything :dunno:

there are people out there who just aren't fortunate as I am. I don't celebrate christmas as in the birth of christ...but the festivity of it all makes me feel good.