Why I use Mozilla [kinda funny]

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm at work now in a database group. Oracle has a web based application that I'm supposed to get to know almost on an intimate level. I'm using Mozilla and all appears to be working fine in the app (and yup, I ran it the app with IE to get a base line of what the app can do in the browser).

A week or so ago I was lectured on using Mozilla. "We all must use IE so we're on one platform and to eliminate any possiblities of messing data up." Or something to that effect. Now I understand it would be nice to be on all one platform because in theory, that should improve support costs.

Well, I was reminded/lectured on why I need to use IE again a few days later. Here's what's priceless:

First my boss came up to my machine and wanted to show me a quirk and then ask me how to solve the quirk since I'm the group's resident web guy. Oracle has a collection of monster size form page with all sorts of form options (text areas, text boxes, check boxes, radio buttons, drop downs, lists, the works).

He's randomly moving the mouse around and clicking on things and then hitting submit. Nothing happens.

He clicks on a drop down box and makes a selection. Then starts using the mouse wheel. Page scrolls as expected. He then gives me this puzzled looks of "why isn't it doing it?" I catch this and see where he's going.

"Hang on, let me fire up IE," I tell him.

I then demonstrate the problem for him: click on a drop down box, make a selection, and then scroll with the mouse wheel. Since IE keeps the focus on the drop down box, it scrolls/changes your selection and doesn't scroll the page. This can be uber dangerous especially with a form the size Oracle uses and the importance of the data being collected.

"Is there an option to fix this?" he asks me while moving the mouse to IE's options menu option.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this mouse functionality is a feature of IE and the Microsoft mouse drivers (work around is to move the focus off the drop down and then scroll - which usually just means clicking on a blank spot of the page and then you're set).

I then looked at him and told him that's why I use Mozilla. I have a feeling I may have made a CLM (Career Limiting Move), but it made me feel a lot better after getting the IE lecture.

On a side note, Mozilla handles the Oracle web app very nicely. They even have a Java frontend you have to launch from a web browser that uses some quirky DLL. Mozilla tripped over doing this, but a quick search on Google showed I just needed to move the DLL into Mozilla's plugins directory and life was good.

Cliff notes: Lectured on using IE instead of Mozilla. Then asked about IE quirk/problem/bug that Mozilla handles as a user would expect.

2. MP

MP New Member

i love mozilla.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I hate that option in IE. :mad: But for some reason I still use it. :hs:

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

are you using Isetup (i think that's what it's called)? that's the app my gf's team is working on right now at oracle. i've seen the source, and heard about some of the things the other programmers do, and believe me.. you do not want to be using oracle software :eek3:

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

We're using Oracles eBusiness Suite and I'm playing with some of the individual components of the suite. I haven't played with Isetup.