Why I like BOSE speakers!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JazzHound, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

I've been giving it alot of thought about starting my entertainment system and the first components I want are sound; reciever, speaker at the top of the list. If technically viable, I'd like to use them for my computer system then later on migrate them to the family entertainment centre.

Bose - I know a large percentage of you audio folks, casual and extreme alike have very little nice things to say about them and that's fine. I like them for their diminutive design, seemless integration ability and most importantly, they just look so damn cool! I'm looking for a competitor who may not carry such mass appeal or rediculous price tag, but does have similiar designs.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Jh

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

3. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

:rofl: :rofl: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Bose speakers do not look cool AT ALL. None of them do. Never have, never will. They look like K-Mart speakers.

4. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

Check Walmart or other venders of fine audio products.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

6. 04

04 Guest

Here is what is up with Bose. They like to put very cheap components into their speakers, and sell them for much more than the competition. There name assures that many will buy them. They also have a different type of design than other companies use, they try and make the room interact with the speaker system as much as possible. You are basically paying for the name.

The only reason I could see anyone wanting Bose is for their little cube speaker sets, because they look nice and are unobtrusive, not because they sound good. If you are buying them for accurate sound reproduction, you are buying for the wrong reason.

7. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I agree with 042801, that is the truth behind bose. I used to work with sears when they introducted the 321 system. Biggest waste of $1000 I have ever seen. Being the smart azz I am, I asked them how many watts does that put out/how much can teh speakers handle. Their response. "Bose does not measure their speakers because there are too many inconsistantcies in the watt system." If every other manufacture measures in watts, why can't bose. They are seriously covering up something. If you are ever board, go to a bose show room and ask that question, they'll give you a bunch of b$.

Second, bose is far over priced. They invest a lot more into marketing than in musical research. My parent's HT system (polk audio rm7500 and marantz sr7000 reciever) will out perform bose's $5000 system. How do I know?, I listened to it. I've got two 10" sub drivers for clean bass and bose can only provide two 5.25" drivers. Yes, my system did cost less than HALF of that of the bose system.

Go to their website. Look at their products, tell me what you see. They only feed you b$, no tech specs, NOTHING. It is literally a car brochure with the last pages of facts missing, all they've given you is opinion. This may be ok for those who have money to squander and could care less about performance.

Trust me man, you can get a far better system for the ammout you'll pay for a bose system. It will obviously be a little more difficult that wiring a bose system, but if you care about sound performance, then it si definitly worth it. The components I mentioned above are my recomendation. Since it has been two years, there are probably some differnt models, but the pricing should be the same.

8. 04

04 Guest

"Bose does not measure their speakers because there are too many inconsistantcies in the watt system."

For what its worth, they have a valid point in saying that, all manufacturers rate power handling differently, although in reality, they probably only put out a few meager watts per channel.

Everything else I agree with though. Bose is good for people who have no clue, and don't care about accurate audio reproduction.

9. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Totally agree with you. :bigthumb: :)

10. unrealii

Yeah, I understand, but the fact is, they dont provide any specs at all. If you want to use their loudspeakers, you dont know which reciever, etc to buy. I'm just saying they are using that excuse for the wrong reason, and most people wont be able to differ, although, I agree with the fact that there are inconsistancies out there. To them, marketing sells, not numbers.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

There are plenty of other companies out there that have smaller extremely unobtrusive speakers, that are under half the price of the Bose units, and sound 3 times better.

Do some basic research, its amazing what you will find.

12. I have Bose speakers for my home theatre system.

13. 04

04 Guest

And what is YOUR opinion on them?

14. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

This is my research :big grin:

Gimme some names to look at. I'm starting to read some stuff on audioreview.com and for an amateur who's green, it's like picking out a kneedle in a hay stack.

15. unrealii

Audioreview is a great place to start! That place pretty much convicned me that the sony reciever I was looking at was crap and polk audio and marantz were the way to go.

But for you, it depends on how much you want to spend. I suggest go to good guys and ken kranes and start listening.

16. This brand name of speakers delivers powerful accoustic sound. Fry's Electronics specialize in selling these powerful home theatre speakers cuz of value.

17. 04

04 Guest

:rofl: I actually thought you were being serious there! :bigthumb:

18. Balzak

Balzak New Member

what about the Bose 901?

19. 04

04 Guest

I dislike them, fullrange drivers are not my favorite, and the equilization needed for them is not too pleasing to me. I also dislike boses approach towards firing the transducers at the walls, instead of the listener.

I heard a pair at my friends house, his dad owned one, and they werent anything special IMHO. Some people love them though.

20. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

For smaller speakers (not bose like cubes) check out psb, energy (the take 5.2 system), paradigm minimonitors ( think they're still available), nht's (look for older superones or zeros- big discount on them at onecall), plus many others.

Andy

21. rand0m

rand0m Guest

bose are :greddy:

22. panterafan

panterafan Guest

way to funny "they convinced me that the sony amp I was looking at was crap and to go with marantz" I cant believe someone had to convince you that sony was crap.

23. unrealii

It was my personal brand bias:(

24. 04

04 Guest

Crap is relative. To someone with a 100 dollar boombox, Sony makes pretty good recievers. But for someone with a top of the line denon or yahmaha is going to not think so highly of the sony.

The sony does the job, but the better brands do it better. Its all a matter of perspective... :)

25. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

Yeah, but really, how much better is denon and yamaha than sony. Not much, if at all. Sony ES is around the same field as Denon, price sound etc.

Neither are that good imho, but it is all about how much you want to spend. I'd rather get some used ebay finds of some nicer gear, NAD silvers, Krell, sunfire, mcintosh, etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.