A&P Why I hate 20-something "photographers"...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jonny Chimpo, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

why do you hate me :(

3. Jonny Chimpo

hmmmmm...brb. gotta make a list. :o

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

woow that guys attitude just stank

"oohh whoopdiedoo im an engineer and I cant take pictures that makes your work shit"

5. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

A mustang magazine stole a photo of a car I shot of my friends car and used it in a long string of advertisements. I called and bitched, and all I got was a shitty magazine.
    [​IMG]

6. Jonny Chimpo

I'm sure they were really scared of you. Next time try a lawyer.

7. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

what you were supposed to do was send them an invoice for the use of the pictures

8. Ty Webb

I still could.

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Just ask for money on that shot . Shouldn't be hard to make them pay up.

10. Ty Webb

What's a reasonable price?

11. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

ONE MILLION DOLLARS
    [​IMG]

12. Ty Webb

bwahahah

13. aCab

aCab New Member

So the dude works for the car company and does what his boss asks? He wasn't asked to shoot for the magazine or the the brake ad. As far as the publication and the brake company know, the images that the guys boss gave them were company stock photos. There's nothing wrong there. The boss is the one to blame I guess.

And don't make it sound like it's only 20-somethings that give pictures away. I know for a fact that a few of the oldest superbike photographers in the business give their pictures away to publications just to make sure that others don't get the business/ published.

So it's not just young people with cameras. Just thought I'd give you another view.

14. aCab

aCab New Member

Oh, and good thing im 19.

15. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

I'm 22 and offered to do free shoots for the small publication I went on a couple stories with (already posted a thread with my first publication).

I offered to do it for free because I don't feel I have the skills to expect payment for my work, but I'm more than willing to let them have me tag along so I can get experience and possibly portfolio material.

16. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Hankook wanted to use some of my photos for their SEMA booth. I asked for a set of tires for compensation, they declined /cry

I let them use the photos any way since I knew they'd find someone out there to give them free photos. That's just how the business has developed nowadays.

17. Jonny Chimpo

Anyone that works for free is just a fucking idiot. That's all there is to it. It doesn't matter if you don't feel like it's work, it still is.

I single out younger people because they are normally the ones that don't have enough business experience to realize that, while they might get a warm fuzzy feeling in their crotch over being "published" (ZOMG!), the people running the magazines are just laughing at your stupidity and appreciating the fact that you are improving their GP%.

It's cool that people like to do things like this because they enjoy them, but if the shots are being used to sell a product through advertising, you have to be a complete fucking moron to not expect some compensation. Anyone that gives away their photography for commercial use should be curb stomped.

18. Jonny Chimpo

You want to tell me how these supposed photographic philanthropists earn a living then? :ugh:

Before you start talking about things that you clearly don't have experience with or knowledge of, maybe you should take a business class. Just to give you another view.

19. aCab

aCab New Member

Before you go off on your high horse, I am shooting the whole season this season. My moms friend shoots as a side job and got me the hookup. He warned me not to piss these two guys off in the business.

And IMO, it's good business. If they aren't getting the business then nobody is and they are still getting published. Sounds pretty good to me.

20. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I need to learn how to make money off of this. I agree w/ Chimpo, but I'd prolly be one of the 20 somethings he's bitching about. I sure as hell don't know how to make a bidness out of this.

part of it is, I dont' even know how much I'm supposed to charge for chit like this. What's a good going rate when others are giving it away for free?

21. aCab

aCab New Member

Oh yeah, and I'm a Business Major. :mamoru: That's the only way I could actually make a living in Photography.

22. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

The guy that gave away his car & brake images is an asshat and he did take money out of some professional photographers pocket. However, and it's not clear to me if he works for Mosler, he was (and agreed to the conditions) working under the direction of his boss and therefore it's a "work for hire" situation. He doesn't own the images, his company does.

The copyright for an image almost always stays with the photographer however to enjoy full copyright protection the images must be registered with the Library of Congress (LOC). It's a fairly simple form and its easy to register groups or sets of images. If the images are registered with LOC then it's $100K per image, per infraction plus legal fees. Without that protection, it's more difficult to get compensation. The best you can hope for is to recover your actual loss. For example, the fees associated with actually shooting the job and the creative fee. Copyright attorneys aren't cheap and expect a lot of resistance.

In the case of the brakes, catalog usage only, it's probably worth somewhere in the $500-1000 range (per) depending on size, placement, circulation. If the images also goes on the package, then you're talking about $1500 up to maybe $5000. If it's also used to in print ads, $5000-$10,000 per.

23. skolen

skolen Guest

A lot of the time it's just a designer scouring images on the web, ignorant to copyright laws.

24. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I've got an accounting degree :mamoru:

25. Jonny Chimpo

My high horse is based on experience, but I guess at 19 you have it all figured out. Cool. :ugh2:

BTW, shooting the season of what this season? I like how you make it sound like you're really important with statements like that, and that you're making a living at photography by helping a part time photographer friend of a relative and you're majoring in business. My guess is you're padding your statements quite a bit to try to sound credible on the internet.

Let me guess: Ohio State?