LGBT why I don't post anything about being gay in the OT forum

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Oct 12, 2004.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1348537

I don't understand how somebody who's NOT gay, can presume to know anything when it comes to whether or not being a homosexual is "normal" or not.

I try to just ignore people who enjoy talking out of their asses about something they know nothing about, but I can't say that I don't take offense when somebody likens being gay to pedophelia. /rant

2. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

:werd: My mom actually thought pedophiles were gay. I had my sister who is a psychologist set her str8 because it really pissed me off.

The people in the thread that I was most offended by were added to my IL list. Something I don't normally do.

3. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

It's another typical dumbass-OT thread with a few people proclaiming they know what they're talking about when in fact, they do not. Some of them need a serious reality check. It amazes me how someone can try and argue something when they don't even know what the fuck they're talking about.

:rolleyes:

4. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

there is good in the world and there is bad. It's a ying yang relationship. Why should I condemn myself to focusing on the existence of these ignorant fucks (most of whom are usually closeted homos in the first place) when I can devote my time to those who truly matter. In my world, you're either somebody you means something to me, or someone who exists just to fill space. I think you can tell who are who in this case hehe :)

5. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

What I want to know is where was the warning from Short Bus to the anti-gay messages which could come off as offensive to quite a few people??

6. boris yeltsin

boris yeltsin New Member

I post in them, but I rarley argue in them. There is no point. Most of OT is ignorant, and won't listen to what anyone says.

7. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

When I first joined OT, I tentatively posted in the main forum, and was eBashed. I took time and basically thrived in the sub forums for a while, and then only recently went back to the main forum. I've learned not to really care what ignorance people post in reply. I just post my CoCo self, and care less what others say.

8. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Thanks Cedric, that was a good way to have me burn up some time in my day. On the bright side, at least I wasnt doing something productive, like mowing the lawn. :big grin:

9. coma

coma New Member

Definitely true, or at the very least they have some kind of issue with their sexuality (such as questioning their masculinity).

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Wordddddddd.

11. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

There's a reason I don't post in the main forums much. :)

It's because 1) I can't keep up and 2) I refuse to surround myself with mean people. Mean people bad and stuff :)

12. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

If we learned anything from the holocaust, it is that "Silence = death"

We MUST participate in some of these threads just to open other's eyes.

13. boris yeltsin

boris yeltsin New Member

Im ussually posting over in the main forum. But mostly posting usless stuff that no one will use. But once in a while I can make a good post.

14. Sam Gamgee

The great thing about you is that you post funny things that make a point too.

This is a great way to disarm the people you are debating with. If they are laughing at a joke you just said, it's harder for them to hate on you.

I really appreciate your contribution to the main OT forum.

15. boris yeltsin

boris yeltsin New Member

No problem :bigthumb: Always ready to take on the straight hordes. :o

16. RedGoober4Life

I'd rather not throw things in people's faces.

As much as I hate it being done to me i cannot do that.

17. Sam Gamgee

I'm not talking about throwing anything in anyone's face. If you read my posts in that thread, I was not confrontational even once.

18. RedGoober4Life

Okay, god. :wtc:

19. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i already posted rather cynically but im gonna give another go at it.

1) We are in a western society where machismo (i.e. acting butch, manly) is the role people perceive males to be. Thus, guys want to cater to this identity in order to justify their existence as males. This brings about two things: 1) gays aren't seen to follow this supposed identity and thus are vilified, and 2) Lotsa guys pick on the gays in order to look tough and butch blah blah blah

2) Political agenda setting has put the whole gay issue (e.g. equal rights, marriage) in the spotlight. Thus, it makes individuals perceive the issue to be more important to them personally than what it might actually be. Their feelings and opinions are thus intensified. Hence, people are more vocal.

Therefore, I say the real problem is individual ignorance, it's rather a collective blame on society for a) creating gender roles that people feel they must adhere to, and b) media, as usual. hehe

I'm in an academic sort of mood. I'm sure in the next few days, i'll have another mood swing and post again in another emotional setting, hehe :)

20. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

^ I agree with this. My own opinion on the issue is that, you want to hate me for who I am as a person, then that's fine. If you're gonna hate me for what I am, a homosexual man, then you can go fuck yourself. I'm not going to waste my time educating ignorant people; it's just not worth it.

People are entitled to their opinions. However, if when they spout off crap and try to shove it in my face, that's where I have a real big problem. I especially can't stand when people say that being gay is: a) my choice or b) immoral/wrong. The bottom line is, who are they to judge?

Opinions are fine, but when somebody tries to tell another person what is and what isn't based on grossly insufficient evidence, that makes them worse than stupid.

21. NOVAJock

There's a difference between throwing things in people's faces and shoving your head in the sand and letting everyone walk all over you.

I wonder what would have happened over the coarse of history if people like Gandhi and Rosa Parks walked through life with the desire "not to throw things in people's faces..."

:rolleyes:

22. Sam Gamgee

Well then, when you get older and wonder why you aren't equal to your heterosexual brethren, and you look to place blame, look no further than yourself.

Not being an activist is fine. I'm not telling you to go out now and hold a sign on a street corner advocating gay rights.

I'm not asking you to throw anything in anyone's faces.

But, when ignorance and bigotry comes your way, don't ignore it. Doing that only sets the gay rights movement backwards.

When you are ready to look for facts, look at NOVAJock's stickied thread to find talking points.

Look at it this way. By countering the ignorance, you are likely going to do nothing for the bigot spouting the hate. But, for every bigot spouting the hate, there are 10 people listening who haven't formed opinions yet. It is up to you to show those other 10 people the other side.

Believe me, it works. I promise you that.

23. NOVAJock

I partially agree with you. The older I've gotten, the more I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about me and I've slowly lost interest in thinking that by reasoning and rationalization, I can help those who don't understand....understand.

In talking with some members here in OT that held a real negative attitude toward homosexuality, they have changed their opinion because they understand it better. I view this as beneficial because as greater numbers of people's opinions/understanding change, it has the chance of spreading that much faster. The problem is that it can take a lot of energy to get some people to understand.

You can tell those who are open minded enough to want to understand, and you can tell those who are just so close-minded, no matter what you say, it won't make any difference.

There's a time to step up to the podium and take a chance at trying to educate people, and there's a time to step back and retract into your own world and personal comfort.

For me personally, I'm at that stage where, I have no desire to educate anyone and hope that they have a better understanding. I'd rather focus on getting myself settled down, building a home and sharing my life with someone. That's what's most important to me and always has been.

Now further above marx mentioned that it's more a case of individual ignorance....I'm not sure I agree with that. Individual ignorance does play a role, but in my opinion, the overall influence by the "group" (aka societal peer pressure) is much greater than individual ignorance.

It's much easier to be lazy and let a group influence your thoughts and beliefs, than it is for you to question the group and develop your own conclusions. As the centuries go by, humans in general have become lazy thinkers. It's easier to go with the flow than it is to go against it.

That's why I laugh when some of these fucktards that are so vocal against homosexuality come out with...."well, since the majority of America is against it, then it must be wrong."

Well, no. If the majority of America thinks you should hang off the Golden Gate Bridge by your balls, are you going to do it? Hopefully, you have your own brain and the ability to think for yourself in order to come to the understanding that:

1. That's just wrong.
    2. It's going to hurt like hell
    3. You'll rip your balls off and probably pass out and drown once you plunge into the icy water below.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  24. Sam Gamgee

It does take A LOT of energy, and usually some other catalyst has to happen in their life to actually open their mind as well.

But, I have planted the seed on many people her on OT. And that seed has grown. Sometimes it takes a LONG time to grow. And sometimes it never grows.

But, it's a wonderful thing to sit here and think about OT three years ago when I first came here and then to look at it now. The minds I have changed and the people who have told me how much my opinions have formed their opinion is incredible.

Remember, for MANY people here on OT, we are the only gay people they have ever met. Their opinions are formed by their bigoted parents. And they are just recycling the same shit their parents told them.

I can't tell you how many people have said to me (over PM or at an OT meet) "You're the only gay person I know. Thanks for helping me understand gays"

Of course, it sucks sometimes being their "token gay friend", but it's also cool to help open people's minds.

25. NOVAJock

:werd:

I totally agree with you. OT has changed in the 2 or 3 years that I've been a member here. I remember when I first saw this site linked on my own and I came here. I read through some of the threads and thought...."what a bunch of fucking morons." :rofl:

And then, I found Samwise Gamgee and thought...."SISTAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: