Why I buy European motorcars...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fire Sauce, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I :bowdown:'ed to Bidrawn when I read this in the latest European Car.

My car can beat up your car

The crew at Sport Compact Car sits right down the hall from us. We enjoy a friendly yet competitive camaraderie both in magazine design and the actual cars found insude. There's a lot of bench racing, lots of weight vs. bhp... that sort of stuff. Apparently, SCC staffers think their cars are better than ours. Good for them. Creative imagination helps the mind develop.

Since I purchased my M3, more than a few SCC staffers have thrown the gauntlet down.

"Meet me at Willow Springs, 3 p.m. Be there and we'll settle this like men."

OK. Say I accept the challenge. We flog our cars on the track for the better part of the day, testing cornering, braking, acceleration, etc. When the points are tallied, SCC's Evo VIII might have a tenth of a second advantage. But at the end of the day, they leave in a Mitsubishi and we leave in a BMW.

We win.

Or say it's Porsche vs. Subaru, Audi vs. Nissan, or Mercedes vs. Lexus. At the end of the day, we drive home in a well-bred European machine and they drive home in... something else. We win.

Let's talk more about my M3 (I've been threatened with bodily harm if I mention it in the office, even BMW's own Rob Mitchell is sick of it). Obviously, the E46 M3 is pretty damn good, so good in fact I'm in no hurry to change it- almost. Immediately after it's purchase I made four calls: one to California Car Cover Company, one to stereo guru Rich Truesdale, one to my insurance company, and one to Dinan. The wheels are turning here.

I'm leaving now to drive Porsche's latest iteration of the Carrera 4S while the crew at SCC is heading off to drive... something else.

I win.

:mamoru:

2. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Oh, and DIAF.

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

brand nazis = lose

4. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

You forgot to mention that the european cars are worth almost twice as much as the japanese equivilent.

S2k > 350z >>>>>>> any boxter in their price range.

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Boxster is weaksauce. RUF 3400S on the other hand...

6. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R > *

7. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Acura NSX
    Base price:
    $89,000
    Engine: 3.2L V-6, 252hp, 210 lb-ft
    Drive: Rear-wheel
    0-60 mph: 5.3 sec
    0-100 mph: 12.2 sec
    1/4-mile: 13.8 sec @ ???
    Top speed: 165 mph

Porsche Cayman
    Base price: $59,695
    Engine: 3.4L H-6, 295hp, 255 lb-ft
    Drive: Rear-wheel
    0-60 mph: 5.1 sec (est.)
    0-100 mph: 12.0 sec (est.)
    1/4-mile: 13.7 sec @ 105 mph (est.)
    Top speed: 171 mph

8. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

A Toyota Supra is faster and better looking.

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

hardly better looking.
    Its also a heavy fucking pig.

The M3 has a better I-6.

10. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Poopra = ugly, heavy, and slow kthx.

11. Boosted5speed

Boosted5speed New Member

I love m3's, the engine is a gem, but I tend to disagree with the "every european car is better" outlook. And the supra may be a pig, but it can make the power necessary to move its fat ass :big grin:

I almost bought a used 1999 A8 quattro 4.2, It was a really nice car, had a good deal on it. I ended up passing on it. 61k miles, ran nice, smooth driver. Transmission had a clunky shift going into 5th (common problem for the a8) got an estimate on it. Price to fix? 8grand for a tranny rebuild.

Porsche? lovely cars. Problem? You have to spend upwards of 120k to outrun a 33k dollar STi, it gets about the same amount of attention from other people, costs 4-5x as much to insure, gets worse gas mileage, has less room, costs more to repair, costs more to upgrade, and isnt much faster around the track.

And good lord =[ why did VW have to screw up the GTI, it just keeps getting uglier every year. Id take a gen3 in a heartbeat over any of the newer offerings.

12. Boosted5speed

Boosted5speed New Member

:big grin: maybe if you werent so far away, and I didn't need to get rid of a couple of other cars first. I almost bought a white 97GTI 5speed a couple months ago, but 150k miles scared me off.

13. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

yeah, the sti, and evo for that matter, are pretty much unbeatable bargains, performance-wise. but i just don't think you can compare them to porches so easily. it's not that i think german cars are so superior to japanese cars, but they cater to 2 entirely different crowds.

14. GT40

GT40 lol

15. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Mine just ticked over 109,000 miles. :noes:
    Time for something else to go wrong...again.

Maybe it will be my 5th starter replacement...or perhaps fishing vaccum lines through the doors because VW decided that power locks should be vaccum controlled. (f-ing retards)

16. POONTANG

POONTANG skeet skeet

hardly better looking, yes. heavy, yes. better i6? doubtful. the 2jz was one of the best engineered blocks around and still is IMO :big grin:

17. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

A block is easy to build to withstand incredible power.
    The head is where its at and BMW > Toyota in that department.

18. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

:werd:

19. ecofire

ecofire Member

Who cares where the car came from? Why would you buy a car for the track and leave it stock anyway? If I had the money I would definitely be modifying whatever sports car I owned. And that is where japanese cars beat the hell out of european cars. My friend has a 96 BMW 3 series with the I6 and it would cost him $5,600 to turbo or supercharge it, whereas you can upgrade the turbo system on an STi for $4,000 or less. I have never seen a european car that was cheaper in any way than a japanese. I also have a cousin with a 2000 BMW 5 series and it cost him $1,000 for brake pads and the labor to put them on. The prices people pay to upgrade european car just amazes me.

20. ecofire

ecofire Member

Also, if you get the STi or Evo you have AWD, and that is the reason they both have such good 0-60 times. I mean even you compare to another japanese car like the 350Z in the same class, its got almost the same power as the STi, but the acceleration of the lower end WRX.

21. d-ta

d-ta New Member

wow go you. you pulled up specs on an automatic nsx...

supra heavy, yes
    ugly, that's subjective
    slow, um...no.

22. Mistertwo94t

Mistertwo94t New Member

Great example there using the oldest and most expensive Japanese performance car recently available for comparisons.

That article does make something very clear b/t SCC and European Car. The SCC guys are real car guys that car more about the performance of the car instead of the image it conveys to others. To each his own.

23. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The costs to upgrade most cars is fucking insane. Buying a damn turbo kit instead of fabbing it yourself is what gets expensive. Of course its going to be more for a BMW than a Toyota. There are far more Toyota owners looking for the upgrade while this isn't the case with the BMW. Volume always drives prices down.
    Why do you think Civic parts are nearly on par with those fora small block chevy?

If somebody really paid $1000 for upgraded pads and installation on a BMW 5 series, then they are clearly an example of someone with more money than brains.
    They aren't hard at all to change and a good set of pads shouldn't run NEARLY that much. Sounds like you left something out...like the pads and installation were $1000 along with the new calipers, rotors and braided stainless lines.

24. ecofire

ecofire Member

Sounds like your the one without the brains. When you go up in name (ie honda to bmw) you make a large jump in price. When you buy a BMW or a Mercedes or any other upscale car, the up front cost isn't the only thing that is a lot higher than that of a Honda or a Subaru.

Much like with my Harley. Just because I buy something with the Harley name doesn't necessarily mean I am getting better quality I'm paying for the name. The same thing goes for cars. Like when you buy a Ferrari, your basic service bill will be way higher than a lower end car.

Also, if you can get rotors, calipers, and braided steel brake lines for $1,000, I wouldn't trust them to work very well. You can easily spend $1,500 on a good set of 4 rotors.

25. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

wow, a quote from EUROPEAN CAR
    :rofl: