GUN Why I always inspect my ammo...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copeland, Jun 11, 2009.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

10 years of shooting factory stuff...maybe the odd hand load here or there, and I find this in my 5th box of .223

Winchester white box. What do you guys think? shoot it and see what happens? Any idea how common this is? The pic sucks so I'll add to the description... bullet is fine except for that bulge. the lead has bulged and tore the jacket.

[​IMG]

2. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

:werd: just got a .22lr winchester super speed that has 2 massive dents in the casing.

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I wouldn't shoot it but that's just me. Send the pic to Winchester and bitch up a storm, say you're scared to shoot the rest of the box and maybe they'll send you out a replacement box for free. :dunno:

4. copeland

hmm I'll shoot them an email...The more I look it at it, the more I wonder how it happened, I can't see it making it through Quality control as it's quite defined...

I picked it out the second I dropped ten rounds to load a mag. it just seems so odd...I'm thinking heat and lead volume was an issue to tear the copper jacket...

I know "Bigger" picture it's just a default round...but who knows what it would do going through my barrel/loading in the chamber...

5. Finest

Finest OG #93

Are you seriously even considering shooting this thing down your barrel? :squint:

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/2723; U; en))

shoot bullet, destroy gun, sue, buy a larue, win

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I doubt it will do anything except degrade the accuracy of that bullet. If you're worried about it, don't shoot it. You should be able to cut it off with a knife either way.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

yup

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

picture isn't perfect, but to me it looks like it's just on one side, not really the entire tip?

11. Hooch

Hooch New Member

werd

12. bobotech

bobotech New Member

Exactly!!

Shoot the stupid thing and use it for reloads.

There is no way in hell that it will hurt the gun unless its over/seriously undercharged.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

dude, that ain't gonna do nothing bad to your gun. What you want to be leary of are cracks or tears to the brass, especially near the neck and bullet set back. I've run through a ton of ammo that's had imperfect projectiles just like that. Wether you cut it off or not it wouldn't really matter.

Judging by the crimp line, it doesn't "appear" to be set back to far, although calipers would be the better judge.

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

Okay, Here are the 3 key area's that I check for ammo QC.

1. Primer seating. Check for high primers by placing them on a loading tray, bullet down. It's quite easy to scan 100 and find anything out of the norm.

2. Brass integrity. Primary area's I check, and this is usually done while I'm loading the ammo, is the neck area.

3. Bullet crimp/set back. I only check every 10 rounds, but I basically hold the brass case with one hand, and the bullet with the other hand with my thumb and index and try and push and twist on the bullet, then check with my calipers. You shouldn't be able to easily twist, or push down on a bullet. You can tell you over crimp when you can see the impression of the bottom of the bullet in your brass. Only use enough crimp to hold the bullet in place and to keep it from being twisted or pushed in too easily by hand. Once this is set, you don't have to worry too much about this.

Lastly, I case gauge every single bullet I plan to shoot. I find 2-3 bullets per 300 rounds that do not pass the gauge test.

These are the 3 most critical area's of your ammo.

15. copeland

yea it's a bulge just out the side, near the tip...looks like the pressure from the lid tore and poured out through the jacket.