Why have dedicated body part days?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mippity, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Is there any real reason for this? I can see how it might allow more time for recovery if you are only focusing on one body part per day, but anytime you are doing compound movements, those muscles will be used anyways amirite? :dunno: I've never read/seen any discussion on this, so I'm wondering why most people have dedicated days.

my rationale:
    I try to do all the major muscle groups for one to two exercise each time i visit the jim. That way, I can adjust accordingly on what exercises to do depending how I feel. If I am exhausted or low energy I generally will save squatting or benching for another day. If I am feeling full of energy and well rested I try to knock out as many compound movement exercises as possible with challenging weights. It also prevents me from totally omitting a muscle group if I miss a day in the gym that I can't make up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. Mippity

Mippity New Member

:eek3: just read a thread sort of dancing around this question on the main page.

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

isnt the answer to your question quite obvious?

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

It's Philly love
    Just drinkin' rum
    And getting high
    Listen to dub
    Grip them pint
    Get them buds
    Spark the light
    And get the girl

It's in your blood
    Just drinkin' rum
    And getting high
    Listen to dub
    Grip the pint
    Get them buds
    Spark that light
    Fire it up

5. Mippity

Mippity New Member

not to me for some reason.

One muscle group exercised once should require less recovery that something obliterated in one day, I would think.
    I'm also generally pretty worn out by my last exercise on specific body part days and have to use lower weight than normal ....

6. Abomb

Abomb New Member

purs routine

mon leg
    tues chest
    wed off
    thurs back
    fri shoulder and arms

you can hit each body part with more intensity doing one a day... at least thats how i understand it

7. jonno

jonno New Member

ay bay bay

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

your last exercises are usually not compound moves... flies for chest versus bench or lat pull downs for back instead of deadlifts or pull ups... or rear delt lifts versus military press etc

you should be pretty worn out on your last movements and you should be doing higher rep lighter weight on your last accessory movements

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

because it's a proven method :dunno:

10. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Compound movements just don't build up the accessory muscles as much as working them on their own does. Beach workout FTW, gotta love those pretty muscles even if they don't really... do... much.

Not to say that isolating specific groups won't help you in compound lifts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that

11. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Because at the end of the day how you split stuff up doesn't really matter as much as people want it to.

For example, there are plenty of big strong lean dudes that do bodypart splits.

There are also plenty of big strong lean dudes that do upper/lower splits.

Then there are lots of big dudes that essentially do HIT routines (see DC training).

Don't worry about it, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter that much.

12. Mippity

Mippity New Member

A-bomb.
    I do pur's routine with a few minor modifications. When I was doing it on dedicated body part days I would always start with something like bench and end up with flys ...
    The reason I changed was because sometimes I would go to the gym tired on chest or shoulder day, which require a lot of energy for me to do them well and have a shitty workout. And another thing is I got busy for two weeks and I ended up not getting to the back and arm days of my workout.

Thanks for the reassurance nudes :)

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

NUDES summed it up well enough.

Whatever route you choose to take, just adjust volume, frequency and intensity accordingly.

14. Abomb

Abomb New Member

if you are getting enough sleep and enough food in the proper protein, carb, and fat ratios you should never be too tired come work out time. (oh yah, dont eat fats before your work out lol)

make sure your breakfast, pre work out meal, and post work out meals are dialed in with some good carbs and protein

and if u still want a pick me up use these

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/1485/drive.html

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/1365/rpm.html

and for extra pumps i mega dose some arginine right before the work out and right before im going to pump the girlfriend for some cardio

im still an amateur and theres still a good # of guys on this board that look better than me but since i dialed in my diet my gains have been coming at a constant rate. i need to put some before and after pics up though. your breakfast, pre work out meal, and post work out meal.. your 3 most important meals imo. 4th one being right before bed, the rest are just fillin in calories imo.

but yah nudes is right, as always. i modify purs routine every single work out of mine, im always changing up the reps, the exercises, the # of sets, etc etc. good luck to you :)

15. Abomb

Abomb New Member

what i wish i knew 15 months ago ^

16. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

A problem though that can easily arise is actually needless 'modifications'.
    I'm not pointing any fingers but I think one should have a certain amount of experience before being too creative with 'modifications'.

17. Mippity

Mippity New Member

thanks for the input guys.

regarding the tiredness ... it is either
    1)when I work out too late(past 8 p.m. ...caffiene would help pick me up but I don't sleep well if I take stimulants that late
    2). I am sick. I have been constantly sick (most of the times really mild effects) since I started working at an elementary school. I think I am starting to build up a resistance, but who knows.

On modifications ... I do 10 reps of everything, only 3 sets of shrugs, and I don't do wrist curls, leg curls, or the rear lateral machine (not even sure what it is).

18. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/LVRearLateralRaise.html

19. Mippity

Mippity New Member

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Out of curiousity, why drop the legcurl too?

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you need to work your hamstrings....

I'm doing Pur's routine but substitute leg curls with goodmornings, RDL's, or GHRs because I don't like doing only leg curls. I'll probably do them tonight just so I have enough energy to go 100% on the quad exercises.... but you gotta train your hamstrings one way or another.

22. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:werd:

23. Mippity

Mippity New Member

ok, i will put leg curl back in. I cut it out two weeks ago bc they are a bit uncomfortable and awkward to me and I thought i would be covered on hammys bc of squats.

I started wrist curls and rear lats today, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.