Why electric cars are pointless and we are all doomed, a 150 page thesis

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mitchj, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Electric cars are an immense waste of money and resources. I just can't emphasize that enough.

The Volt basically kicked off a green "me-too" frenzy. Even Audi whose CEO said electric cars are pointless is getting in on the greenwashing now.

3. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

:werd:

these people think that their battery car that saves them 20 gallons of gas a year is so much better than polluting the environment with their fucking batteries, which they dont ever talk about

they tend to shy away from the fact that it takes way less resources to build a fucking hummer than their little prius

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Well, not just that but the fact that electric cars aren't viable replacements for normal cars due to the limitations of battery technology.

How long does a laptop battery last? Not very long and it's a small computer. Imagine the same technology powering the transportation you depend on and you see what I mean.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Batteries can be recycled, exhaust can't. If batteries are more polluting right now, it's because of the mining waste from digging up the metals used to manufacture them, but that can be controlled through environmental regulation (if only the regulators would find their balls and do their jobs) and as long as the batteries actually get recycled, the mining waste is a one-time problem.

6. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Where does most of our electricity come from? Coal power plants.

/Thread

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

And those coal power plants have pollution filters that put catalytic converters to shame. Not to mention they have a huge economy-of-scale advantage over combustion engines to start with -- they could run with no scrubbers at all and still be cleaner than fleets of ICE-powered cars.

/thread

8. john law

john law Guest

Solar/wind/natural gas/nuclear/hydro electric

try to think outside the box, ok?

Electric>>Gas. Prices will continue to drop, and the tech will continue to get better.

I would rather send my energy money to the local hydro plant, than to the Mid East wackos. I guess I'm a little different though.

9. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

i do agree though, that if cars were electric, it would centralise the power generation and allow for more green means to be used.

It makes sense, in theory, it also removes our reliance on the middle east.

10. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I wouldn't consider buying one until the math (money savings) makes sense, and I know a lot of people that think the same way.

I'd have to drive a Prius for ~20 years to break EVEN on the increase in price over a base gasoline Civic or Corolla.