Why drive a truck?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by maartena, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maartena

maartena Guest

Hello,

Don't bash me out immediatly, I'm a simple (bloodsucking, jobstealing) immigrant that wishes to understand the reasoning behind the "truck" :)

I'm originally from Europe where pick-up trucks are a rare sight. The once that drive around, are actually being used to haul stuff around in.

I came here in April 2002 and got facinated by trucks. Not so much by the type of vehicle itself, but the reason why people drive them. Granted, there are some magnificently modified and tuned trucks out there on the road, maybe even more here in California.

Some of them have been built up so high you'd need a crane to lift anything in it, other's have been built so low you can't even haul more then a few hundred pounds or the body of the truck will be dragging on the streets :)

What I am getting at: What is the facination in the United States with a car that (by most people) of which HALF of the vehicle is not used for anything. On the California roads I have seen people cramming boxes behind the front seats and in the passenger seat - probably because they were afraid they'd get stolen, I have seen people driving trucks with 4 people in the front - which is illegal here.

What is the facination about trucks in this country? Hey, gimme a break just trying to understand the concept here. Who knows why trucks are so popular, and why nobody ever hauls stuff around in them?

M.

2. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

simple, we want the ability to haul something even if we only need it occasionally

I got my truck because its cheaper, rwd, and a 5spd, looked good and its cheap on insurance compared to other cars i had looked at. My truck is lowered cause i like to autocross and this is the only vehicle that i have that can do it, that and i like the looks and it hasnt hurt load carrying

My dad has a truck because he tows a boat frequently enough. not to mention he used to do alot of yard work and its easier to hose down a bed than vacume and clean out a trunk or backseat

Alot of people get them cause they are just big simple very usefull vehicles. they like being in a nice upright seating position, above the traffic, having a powerfull engine, and being bigger than everyone else(for ego and safety)

There are probally tons of different reasons, and more than likely tons of people that drive trucks that really dont need to and would be better off with a car or wagon, I will probally always have a truck, im sure in the future ill always be able to find some use for it hauling this and that

3. Yobbo

Yobbo OT Supporter

Torque

4. Unrecognized

Unrecognized Guest

because inertia pwns you.
    but seriously, women shouldn't drive trucks.

5. camo~

camo~ I LURK

Just because you dont see me always pulling/hauling something doesnt mean I never do. I have a 25ft fifthe wheel camper, a 19ft fishing/ski boat and a fourwheeler that would all be totally worthless to me if I didnt have a truck.

6. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

i think it's funny that all of these people missed the obvious point. you mention that you're intrigued by the US's fascination with trucks. all i have to say to that is, "bigger is better."

7. taco

taco Guest

I ride dirt bikes and the truck helps to haul them around.

It also allows me to go to lowes and get something without having to pay to get it delivered and the same with furniture or appliances.

I also enjoy off roading and need the 4 wheel drive to enjoy this hobby.

My preference is also for rear wheel drive because of it's driving manners but living where we get a good amount of snow rear wheel drive isn't ideal in the winter so the ability to use 4 wheel drive in the winter is also a plus.

8. Escaladeryder

Escaladeryder New Member

REASONS WHY WE DRIVE TRUCKS:

1-Fast

2-Torque

3-Looks P I M P

4.Isnt rice

5.can kill rice

6.Run over shit

7.go affroading

8.SAFER

9. Procharged LM7

Procharged LM7 New Member

When someone who is asleep, with a car(or another truck), runs into me, I have a better chance of living. I also do well in the snow, can haul stuff, and still fit 5 people in the cab with plenty of room.

10. reido

reido New Member

The reasons most americans have for owning a truck/suv is for something like a higher seating position/ view or because they think they need the 4wd or because they feel safer. I don't understand the seating/ view thing and if everyone drives a truck no one is really safer because the vehicles are both heavy and sit a the same height. Almost no one "needs" 4wd neither do I, but its fun and I use it a lot.

11. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

the seating and view from trucks/real SUV's is alot better than it is in a car
    more upright, more glass, less pillars, higher up

12. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

If you get stuck in traffic jams very often you will understand the higher seating position. I find it all around easier to get around due to the higher seating position. And if you live where there is much snow you learn to appreciate 4x4 very quickly.

13. reido

reido New Member

Yeah I live in western washington so I don't need the 4x4 for snow. If it snows here everyone stays home. They shut down schools for like an inch of snow. But i do know that in midwest states many people need it. I get stuck in traffic from time to time but still don't see what a higher position can do for you. When traffic is stuck especially on the freeway your stuck too. The only reason I have an SUV is for the 4x4

14. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Ride height for traffic is important for several reasons. You can see further ahead and see stopping traffic, construction or obstacles coming up sooner and make necessary moves. In stuck traffic I agree that you are stuck, but if the reason is unknown you can at least see it sooner as traffic slowly moves and change lanes in necessary.

15. Escaladeryder

Escaladeryder New Member

so are you telling me if i whent straight on with a civic or any other rice cars i would die? LOL

16. slowrado

slowrado OT Supporter

as far as gas mileage I get around 16-19mpg in the city and around 22-25mpg on the highway...it's not so bad for a 4.3L v6 in a 4200lb truck

lowering a truck doesn't really affect payload capacity, it's all dependent on the drop and how it's done (static drop, bagged, how low it's dropped, what compenents used)...My 3/4 dropped silverado can tow and haul just the same as when it was stock.

and as far as someone who wants a truck, but will never ever use the bed
    it's just a matter of taste, why do people collect cards, why do people like certain types of music, why do people like certain foods, it's all up to the individual, and if they just want a big pickup or mini or slammed truck, who cares, its what they want.

I dont need to know why people want to drive little econoboxes, i just take it as their situation or choice

My truck gets 4 wheel disks and 12.5 inch brakes stock, and it's the base model, also i get anti-lock brakes, and even yes, traction control

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  17. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Hate to rain on your parade but despite your crusade people will buy what they want whether its an SUV, truck, sports car, minivan, compact, sedan or whatever. For some people its about safety, for some its about comfort, for some its about looks, for some its economical and for some its about necessity. Unless a vehicle is totally unsafe people will buy it for one of the above reasons or for for one of many others.

18. Escaladeryder

Escaladeryder New Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

19. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

If you don't care what people buy then why do you argue against SUV's so much? Let it go.

20. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Because there are few options left for large V8-powered RWD vehicles in the US.

21. Repo_Man

Repo_Man Guest

So when I run over a "simple (bloodsucking, jobstealing) immigrant ",I do not ruin the underside of the suburban....and can keep on truckin.... :bigthumb:

:wavey:

22. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ok not sto start up this whole shit storm agin i sped hours every day crashing a verry low mass vehicle 600 pounds with lots of crumple zone and carbon fiber enrgy abosrbion sections on a computer belive me teh hevier vehicle is much safer to teh driver. Sure trucks are going to more damage to you small car to bad for you should have bought a truck you have faith in your crumple zone ill take me weight and stronger frame over your crumple zone any day.

I think car craft but it best if more people are being killed in compact cars in crashes with suvs why are they tring to ban suvs when its the small car that it ovbiosly less safe

also a roll over is much safer than a head on crash and its not that easy to roll an suv as you may think ive tried

end of teh argument start another thread im locking it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.