Why don't you see a lot of hybrid Oly / Power routines?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PaddoK, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

I'm currently in the process of trying to build a new routine for myself. I've found over the years that I really love compound excercises and really dislike the high isolation excercises. So basically, I'm trying to build a routine where I'm pretty much doing all compound work 3 days a week ignoring the shit I don't really like (curls mostly).

So anyway, I've been reading all the sample routines posted in that sticky and there never seems to be any routines that cover aspects of both powerlifting and oly lifting.

Right now my routine focuses on D/S/B, but I'm including a few Oly excercises like cleans, behind the neck press, standing overhead squats, and the pushpress.

Is this a good idea? If so, why is it that I don't see many routines on the internet posted like this?

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

tier system

3. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

I would imagine because most routines are created with a type of athlete in mind. Using an oly routine would probably cover all the same movements as a pl routine, just in a different fashion geared towards the lifts that they will actually be performing.

Powerlifters don't really need to focus on push presses, overhead squats, etc unless they want to use them for accessory or supplemental exercises.

So really its just keeping to the tsyle of lifts that you would be performing in a competition.

at leats my thoughts on it...
    EDIT: damnit ceaze beat me. with two words

4. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

5. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Will do. Yeah I was thinking of using them mostly as support lifts. Is there no point to it? Should I stick to a traditional PL routine?

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

for sports there's plenty of reasons to use both types of movements, that's why the tier system does

7. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

That all depends on your goals. I do think that OL have their place, I am just too lazy to do them!!

8. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

werd

i want to see him get back into competitive oly lifting

9. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

I primarily do PL style training, but 2 out of 3 days i'll do some cleans, split jerks, etc. I feel that since I have a low overall base of strength, they help me with overall speed a lot. I felt the same about tire work, but since I am at school, I haven't had a chance to do any more of that :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.