Why don't my games run in full screen?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lowfat, Dec 4, 2003.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

They aren't running in a window, but they aren't stretched to the whole screen. My desktop is run @ 1024 X 768. Everytime i run a game that has a lower resolution (i.e. 640X480) instead of stretching it to fit the whole monitor, it runs in a little box middle of the screen, with black all around it. It does this for everything that is less than 1024 X 768 (i.e. when i lower the desktop resolution, the BIOS, the windows bootscreen, everything). And its starting to become a pain in the ass. Is there anyway of fixing this?

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I usually foudn with openGL games that ALT+Enter will put you and take you out of fullscreen mode

also in the graphics display, if the game supports it you should be able to select whether or not you want fullscreen on or not

3. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Are you using an LCD monitor? They have their native resolution and don't stretch anything that doesn't match. Caveat: I don't know if new LCD monitors have fixed this problem.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

What he said.
    If you are on a CRT, then set your desktop to 640X480 and make the adjustments manually with your OSD and then switch back to 1024X768. Your monitor should hold onto the settings for the different resolutions.

5. lowfat

Its an LCD, but it never use to do this. It all started to happen when i formatted and reinstalled WinXP.

6. lowfat

can anyone else help? if not i am going to try to reformat it again. hopefully that will help.