MMA Why doesn't UFC televise undercard events?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by alkalinesolo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

The UC fights are often some of the best ones, and now with the UFC picking their popular TUF bitches over any fights we're seeing worse and worse competition during the undercard.

Even if they were to sell the whole package for 10 bucks more but no announcing/presentation or anything I think they'd pull in big money from most MMA fans who want to actually see good fights and not just big names.
    Is there some sort of legal reason behind this? Is it to try to draw more fans to events? Or is it just Dana White being a general douchebag again...

2. Rob H

Rob H New Member

because they don't pull in the $$$$ that all the lame movie, tv and product sponsorships do when they waste 5 minuets between matches talking about that shit.

3. RMarks

RMarks New Member

because you touch yourself at night

4. Five7

Five7 Member

They show what time will allow on the PPV. They have to get the main card and the ads on for sure. Anytime leftover is given to the under card. If the main events are short then they squeeze a few of the prior fights in. Sometimes they show them on Unleased and now WiRED, too.

5. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

I think they want you to buy them online at UFC.com/ondemand or whatever it is. Its probably like 2 dollars a fight.

6. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Honestly, I wish they would offer a 4 hour version for $10 more or so and show all the fights... I'd rather watch the pre-lims as part of the show instead of having to go to ufc.com some time later to view them for $2/each or so...

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

thank you. its not a TUF issue. its a time management issue. I thought they aired plenty of fights this time around and picked a good undercard to show afterwards.

Fact is most people dont give a shit about undercard fights or even know who are on them. Hence why they get paid shit and commercials are more financial responsible for them.

8. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i just download 'em :dunno:

9. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Because you're bringing up an argument that is made after every fucking UFC.

10. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

They should show them the next week on UFC unleashed or whatever the other one is called.

Then finish the show with re airing of a past bigger name fight.

11. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

They won't, but you have the internet, use it.

12. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I am not talking about me personally. I have the interwebz and I use it.

I get the fights shortly after the PPV, but if they want to continue to build the sport they will use these fights to help build up newer and unknown fighters. I was stating what they should be doing.

A casual fan will not go to ufc.com and pay for undercards, but a lot of people would stop on a channel and watch them if they were aired a week or so later on spike.

13. alkalinesolo

Is there a limit on amount of time allotted to a PPV event? It's not like this is cable TV with other programs scheduled. The channel is black, then the show pops up for 4 hours, then the channel goes black again.

14. Five7

Five7 Member

There are time limits for everything. I dont know what you mean when you say its not like that for cable. Cable shows have time limits, too. They may let live shows go on for a few minutes but there is a time limit. Think of it this way; you are going to watch a baseball game. They show the game for a certain ammount of time and it may spill over but when the game is over so is the coverage. They dont show batting practice before the actual match. They show what they have a time slot for. Not different from the UFC.

I think you answered your own question. Its black then PPV comes on then black. Its timed.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

you think PPV will just float them extra time and coverage for no cost? :ugh:

16. alkalinesolo

I'm no expert, but I don't think it would cost them that much bandwidth (or whatever it is) to show another hour or two of fighting before the produced show. They could probably pay for it with advertising even. I just don't see how charging more for an unproduced product would hurt them monetarily.

17. Five7

Five7 Member

Fuck charging more, fuck that in the ass. I get the PPVs at half off and I still think its alot. More advertising? Fuck that too.

Four hours is enough for one show. Anything longer and people would start getting restless, I think.

I dont see what the big gripe is. You can watch them if you WANT to watch them on UFC.com. People that dont want to dont have to. I think that their logic may have something to do with that. Some of the undercard fights are not as exciting as others. Paying customers may not want to see some new guys feeling each other out and trying to get a customed to the cage and rules and everything for 15 minutes. Those that do can see them on the website.

If it aint broke...