why doesnt' toyota or nissan make motorcycles?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Brigante, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

seeing how honda is very successful in the motorcycle industry, why doesn't toyota or nissan get into the game? i'd like to see competition heat up. i think there's a lot of potential out there. it'd be a ground-breaking thing to see too major car makers join another major car maker in the sportbike/motorcycle industry. i know honda specializes in small displacement engines, but if they have the capacity for it, i'd think toyota and nissan would be able to fab something up as well. as far as automobiles go, honda is considerably a smaller company in size than nissan and especially toyota. just a thought. it'd be interesting to see.

2. elysium

elysium Guest

IIRC, Honda made motorcycles before they ever made cars. Toyota and Nissan did not start out like that. The rest is history.

3. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Toyota started of making sewing machines

4. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Toyota also makes lightweight aircraft.

Nissan makes forklifts.

5. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

Toyota makes propane powered forklifts as well. I dont believe ive ever seen a Nissan forklift, or anything besides passenger automobiles from them.

Honda makes all kinds of shit. (passenger cars, dirt and road bikes, ATV's, snow mobiles, generators, riding and push lawnmowers, and probably other stuff that Toyota or Nissan dont even think about doing.)

As for the original question as to why Toyota and Nissan dont get into the Sportbike market...best I can think of is that the market is already pretty saturated with producers of that product. I can think of 4 right off the top of my head in Japan alone that do that market extensively. It probably woudnt be profitable for more to enter.

6. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

7. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

I stand corrected:big grin:

8. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

9. Btopus

Btopus Guest

toyota ownes yamahaa. they design all of the toyota engines.