Why doesn't the boot up get faster with newer PC's?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cvgwpg, Oct 27, 2006.

1. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

You would figure that as new technology comes out, things get faster... in all ways. Well in fact they do in many cases, things are faster like some software applications that need to process a lot of data.

What gets me is a boot up time of a new pc. Even with the bigger, better, bolder processors, it seems it still takes time for a boot up, even when you go in and shut down all the unnecessary startup crap.

What's the deal. It would be cool to turn on a computer and boom it takes a few seconds... if that... c'mon we have the technology... its just not that efficient.

2. goodprankfarva

goodprankfarva I didn't think it was very realistic in the movie

well every computer i ever had booted up within a minute. Maybe you just need to settle down and realize a minute really isnt that long. maybe push the button and then go take a piss or something?

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

because hard drives are still slow

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you could always use windows hibernation mode

anyways, my amd athlon 64 3000+ pc will boot windows in 40 seconds...thats about how long it takes me to take a piss

5. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

It would require $$$$.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I just bought a brand new comp and it boots up hella fast compared to my 4 year old desktop. I've noticed HUGE differences. Perhaps the 2 computers you are using for comparison are not that different, spec wise.

My old = P4, 2.8 Ghz
    My new = Core 2 Duo, T7200, 2.0 Ghz

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

solution : never turn your computer off

8. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

Get an SATA hd and be amazed

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i really didn't notice a huge difference. probably because i switched from ide133 to sata150
    if it was 300 or sataII or a raid setup, things would be different

10. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Well, that is too bad that some manufacturer doesn't come up with some crazy idea of putting the boot up on a flash drive or something... that would be faster than a HD or anything like that. I'm sure some genius will come up with something. Mine with only what is required, I can boot up in about 35 secs... as fast as I can go

11. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

not rly

Solide state HD ftw

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Modern computers should never have to reboot. Or at least not very often.

13. samm

samm Next in Line

:werd:

My powerbook has an uptime of weeks, and my thinkpad running Linux typically even longer.

14. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Microsoft has teamed up with one of the hard drive manufacturers, not sure which one to offer a new type of hard drive. We should see it on the market next year.
    It uses a traditional hard drive but combines a new type of very fast flash memory to it (the term nano* sticks out in my head as to the name of this flash memory, I could be wrong though). Instead of having a measly 8 MB or 16 MB of memory for the hard drive these things are going to use a minnimum of 512 megs, some approaching a gig or more of memory!

This memory is flash so it will retain the information even while powered down.

The idea is that the hard drive will be able to semi-permanently cache the most accessed data on the hard drive - including boot data.
    You go to turn your machine on and the boot sequence will come off the flash memory in the hard drive and not the actual platters.

You will see this mainly marketed at the laptop market. One of the big advantages (other then boot time) will be that the platters will spun up far less using this new drive then traditional drives. Huge power savings for notebooks.

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I like how Macs boot.
    boooooooong and then it's up! (sure there's a little gap)

Any way you could you do that with PCs? EFI?

16. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Well, its nice to get some insight on this. With how technology changes quickly it's always good have some healthy competition with companies to bring out bigger, better, bolder, brighter technologies.
    Yes, it's nice to have bigger storage and faster processors, but i think its always in the details of the little things... like a team of geeks to get together a cost effective way to have a virtually instantaneous bootup for the masses.

17. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

On another note...
    I hardly have to reboot my system as my uptime is sometimes weeks. There are times, it is required but I just dont like to sit and wait the moment or two for the reboot. Yeah, well, maybe I should go for that wiz in the meantime.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It's called suspend. Free with windows!

19. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

I've been thinkin', maybe with technology and the internet and faster broadband speeds coming... maybe there will come a point a computer will be like a TV and there will be no need to reboot, your internet connection is your pc. In some year, it will be instant on? Isn't Google bringing something similar to Microsoft's Office applications as a web-based tool?

20. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Yep, lots of applications seem to be going web-direction.

Stick a decent web-browser in your TV (Firefox FTW, or Opera but no! not allowed :p), connect it to the web and you will be able to browse the internet, use gmail, make (and share) spreadsheets and documents (http://docs.google.com/ , among others), make drawings :)x:), among other tasks..

Hummmmm

edit: one really cool web-app I found today is halfnote - simple and sweet.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Exactly. You shouldn't have to reboot much.

22. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's more software to load. Just think of all the shit your new computer has that didn't even exist back in Win3.1 days. All that stuff needs drivers, and drivers need time to load.

Use Hibernate instead of Shutdown if you don't want your computer to have to rediscover itself every time you turn it on.

23. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Are there computers that boot in <5 seconds (perhaps not to an increadibly usable OS)? Nearly half of that is gone by the time I get to my bootloader.

The fastest OS I've ever seen boot was BeOS, I couldn't believe how fast it booted. (Windows 2000 boots pretty fast too, and when I setup initng GNU/Linux would boot very fast aswell, but you always lose a few seconds before any of that starts)

24. hyukki

hyukki ._.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

thats what i do. its ready instantaneously.:)

25. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

My computer is on for weeks and weeks at a time.

I'll vary rarely need to reboot it.