Why does my hard drive chirp so much for no reason in Vista?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fixthe fernback, Sep 9, 2007.

1. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

My hard drive always seems to be chirping within Vista even though I'm not running anything that should be making it do so. I Limited indexing to only a few, mostly empty folders, I have no virus or spyware scanners, so what could it be? It's bothering me.

resource montior says system is the culprits whenever I check, from some folder in the System Volume Information folder

2. fixthe fernback

Oh, don't bother answering my question. My hard drive just failed on me. LOL

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

How old/what type is the computer

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

:rofl:

sorry

6. fixthe fernback

custom, most parts are less than a month old, except the hard drives are old 250GB maxtors. I just ordered 2 320gb AAKS WD's and am gonna probably run a RAID 1 now.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Damn, that sucks.

Buy a third drive and make it a RAID 5. You'll get twice the read/write speed and the same failure tolerance. RAID 1 won't give you the 2x write speed, and some controllers won't even give you the 2x read speed.

8. fixthe fernback

Is there really any drawbacks to RAID5? I will have 3 320GB's on tuesday, and my controller supports it, and 640MB + 250GB external of space would be enough space for everything right now. RAID 5 really seems too good to be true...

I need some redundancy, beit mirroring or just some sort of backup software, I need it. This was my 8th hard drive failure. I've had 4 80gb seagates and 4 (this failure was the second replacement drive of the same model) 250Gb Maxtors fail.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The cost is the only drawback, but since you already have the drives, you've already taken the hit. You might want to get a dedicated controller, though. Onboard controllers usually insert the RAID calculations into the operating system's process queue, so the calculations get done by the CPU instead of a dedicated processor. It's not a noticeable drain on CPU power unless you do a lot of data processing, though. As you might expect, until the CPU hits 100% usage, it doesn't really matter how much CPU time the RAID controller is taking for its own use.

Your EIGHTH drive failure? Jesus man, you need to keep those drives cooler and better-powered.

10. fixthe fernback

the first 7 were from a bad power supply, It took me long enough to take a hint... now I have a 520W Corsair PSU. I've always kept my hard drives right in front of a 120mm fan. They're normally at around 40C tops.