Why does my comp lockup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Reznik, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Reznik

Reznik New Member

Why does my computer lock up or slow down after I leave it on for more than 7-8 hours in a stretch and use it again... it is either lagging or frozen.

Its a 2.6 mhz P4 w/ 512 mb RAM. I use XP.

When I click on any programs they don't open nor does the shut down or restart work. So I have to manually turn it off and on again. And then it works again.

???

2. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

is it dirty inside your computer?

3. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Heat.

Clean out, make sure that all fans are spinning and clean. May want to clean off the old thermal solution and put more on the proc.

4. Reznik

Reznik New Member

i cleaned it out... this still keeps happening. For maintenance is it necessary to do a clean install once in awhile? I've never done one since I bought the computer last year.

What could be the reason for this slowing down or lagging (some programs stop responding)? And eventually I have to manually turn off the computer.

5. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Memory leak? Ctrl-alt-del and check memory usage when it starts lagging. Find the application that has the most ram taken up and reinstall.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like your registry is messed up. Try exporting the entire registry off a computer that works right and importing it into your own. Use "regedit.exe". You'll need a CD-R or a memory card or something to hold the exported registry, a floppy will be WAY too small.

I did this earlier today to fix my uncle's computer. It's a little known trick, copying registry entries from one computer to another, but it works wonders sometimes.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth New Member

Err...

You could do that, and it might work. I'd question the wisdom behind importing the registry from someone else's system into your own though. The registry is built upon and progressively updated by the applications you install on it, to do everything from recognise file extensions to specific aspects of the applications themselves (and c'mon, there probably aren't that many people who when first discovering the registry, didn't edit crap like their IE titlebars, for example). Copying over the registry from another computer could fix the problem - or, alternatively it could just cause more conflicts if the other computer wasn't pretty damn similar to start with. End of the line is, if you do that and it screws your registry, you're looking at a lot more hassle than you've already got.

If it were a registry problem, you'd be better off doing your homework and finding out where the problem actually is and just fixing up the problematic entries.

It could be the memory leak, so try that. Also wouldn't hurt to go through and clean your temp folders and then defrag your drives, see if that makes a difference.