Why does it take so damned long to make a DVD in iDVD!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mamoru, Jul 9, 2006.

1. mamoru

mamoru New Member

And I'm not even doing anything illegal!

I have all these home videos that I made on my Canon SD400 (which come out pretty good for a little camera like this)...and I go into iMovie, drag my movies in, set them up in the time line, add some transitions and effects, export it to iDVD so I can burn it to a DVD so that DVD players can read it.

In iDVD, I select a theme, throw a background picture and some music.

Let's say my video is 23 minutes long, it takes AT LEAST double that time to encode the video and burn it.

Fucking insane! I'm running a 1.67 G4 15" PowerBook with 1.5 gig ram and a 300gB firewire 800 external HD.

Is there a faster way for me to make home DVD's without waiting 45 minutes just for the theme to encode, and another 45 min - 1.5 hours for the shitty movie?

This is frustrating :mad:

2. diranged

diranged New Member

Encoding DVDs takes a long time on any system... even on my Dual Core, Dual Processor Opteron box at home, it takes 15-20 minutes to encode 30 minutes of actual footage.

iMovie is not the FASTEST thing out there .... but its definately faster than most.

3. mamoru

mamoru New Member

I'd rather it take 1/4 the time it's taking now...

I should invest in a dual core I guess :hs:

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

DVD encoding, also known as the rendering stage, takes a very long time even on the decent equipment you have. There is a huge fuckload of digital info on even a short dvd, both video info and audio.

Just let it do its thing, and go outside or watch tv.

5. jwynn

jwynn Yeah I Know I Dont Have Enough Posts

Word.

Video encoding is a time consuming process. The 1.67GHz PowerPCs arent the greatest either. (Dont feel bad I have one too).