why does everything in Battlestar Galactica...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by babygodzilla, Jul 18, 2005.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

...look so antiquated? I just got the entire 1st season and the mini series, just watched the first half of the mini series. Except for being able to fly in space, all their technology looks like its from the 21st century. All the buttons, switches, just the general look. Stuff looks hella... analog or something. :dunno: I know on Galactica that Commander said he doesn't want a networked computer cause its too smart and such, hence the Cylons, so he uses corded phones (which look like they're from the 80s), but everything else? Like the fighter planes? Their weapons? Those dont look appealing at all... Looks like they're using regular guns like on an F-16 or something, as well as needle gauges? Also on Galactica i think the XO was using a ruler to draw trajectories??? i was like :wtf: too much star trek for me?

Maybe I should keep watching.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  2. Gai

Gai New Member

They wanted it to look that way...down to the everyday clothes on the civilians. I like it...don't care for the Star Wars/Star Trek clothing and look.

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i see. well i like the story :) im a few eps into the first season. grace park's cute. why does she have to be bad :(

4. seven

seven New Member

grace park's not bad...the humans are the ones in the wrong.:mamoru:

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i dont really get it about the humans. so i guess in this universe humans arent from Earth. they're from....somewhere else. Kobol or something. but they do mention Earth. so what IS Earth here? what is Earth's role in this universe?

6. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

and why shouldn't it?

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Earth is the 13th colony. :noes:

8. Joe_Cool

I like the feel and look of the show. And I especially like the fact that they use actual projectile weapons, not magic laser bolts like on star trek & star wars.

9. marauder

marauder New Member

same :)

10. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

how bout you finish watching the first season and then if you still don't understand rinse and repeat.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You have to remember too, the Galactica was getting ready to be turned into a museum when the attack started. It was old and out of date but it's all they have left now. Same with the Vipers. I like it. It keeps the technology from distracting from the show, and it adds to the desperation factor for the humans.

12. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yes thats true. the gift shop :mamoru:

13. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

I haven't kept up with the new show... :o

I'm sure part of it was to keep it connected to the origianal show as well. :dunno: That was a huge cult show, & they want everyone to forgive them for changing the charactors, so they kept the switches :mamoru:

errr, seriously. Even though they updated the story a bit, tweeked a few charactors, they wanted to keep the feel of the show intact. These are refugees-they have the shitty stuff. It all barely works. They are running for their lives. ect

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i just finished watching everything up to Season 2's premier. damn i think this is one of the best series ive ever seen. the season finale and premier are both awesome. i especially love the part where Gaeta had to break the network, and he actually UNPLUGGED THE CABLES!! wow thats hardcore. cant wait till the next ep. have they discussed why the Cylons decided to attack all of a sudden? I thought maybe i missed it...

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Heh.. Yea, it definitely makes Trek look like 1-dimensional crap. I think it is one of the best written science fiction TV shows I've seen.

16. Joe_Cool

THE best, IMO. But I haven't seen Babylon 5 or Farscape, and from what I hear, they are the main competition for best sci-fi series ever. :dunno:

17. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Even in the show, the Galactica is old--in the original series it was very old too. The port side hanger was a gift shop wasn't it? :rofl: It was being decomissioned in the pilot mini series.

Babylon 5 is, IMO, one of the best told, thought out sci fi series ever (tv or movie) Well, not the 5th season (they thought they were cancelled after 4). The follow up tv movies to flesh out and finish the story were usually pretty good. GREAT characters and a very full story. When they tied an ep in season 1 to one in season 3, finding Babylon 4, it was incredible.
    Very "big" and eventful storyline and movie like CGI. They usually had a great cliffhanger between seasons.

Farscape was really good too, but they kind of lost their way. Good characters though.

18. Joe_Cool

That's cool. A friend of mine has both series on DVD and said he'd lend them to me. I'll check them out as soon as I finish Deep Space 9, which is impressing the hell out of me right now. I really like the long story arcs and the thorough character development, and there is very little of the time-filler crap that Next Generation had even through the 3rd season.

19. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

That's how Babylon 5 is. Ongoing story, some side stories, a LOT of history tied in, and always buidling up to big events, high stakes. 1st season was setting up a lot more for later, so it wasn't that great, but seasons 2 & 3 are absolutely bad ass, 4 was really tough too.
    Bruce Boxleitner > *

Rent the back story that they put out on TNT(?). In the Beginning. Really good movie, sets up the story and shows the scope of it all. Londo has a great storyline, tragic. You'll love it.

20. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica are the two best SciFi show/movies without a doubt.

I just started watching B5 just resently, and am very impressed. Just started season 2, and its starting to get REALLY interesting.

21. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

humans came from earth so long ago, it's a legend to them. they're searching for it.

as for the low-tech, cylons hack computers, so battlestars and other things have no outside access so their systems can't be hacked.

PS- farscape is probably the best sci-fi series i've seen. babylon 5 is good, but it's definitely a different style.

22. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Not entirely correct. All humans came from Kobol, which is where mankind was born and they lived with the 'gods'. A tragedy of somesort happened on Kobol, and the humans were forced to leave. 13 groups of people left to 13 different systems. 12 of which created the 12 colonies (Capricus, Sagittaron, etc) and one went to Earth, and never had dealing with the other 13 colonies.

23. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

That's it.
    And they found Kobol at the end of season 1 (new series) which I thought was really cool.
    It's interesting how literally they're applying their religion to the events. I'm curious about the cylons religion and what they're goal is. Hope they get more into the cylon side of things. Can't wait for tonights ep, real cylons on the loose. FINALLY. :cool:

24. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

I dunno, that hummer in tonights episode didn't look too old :rofl:

its all fine by me though, technology we can relate to > technobabble of some 'other' series :mamoru:

25. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Amazing how human societies, light years apart, will both develop cigars and humvees. :rofl:

I still like it. Reminds me a lot of Space: Above and Beyond. Advanced, but they still use good old fashioned bullets on the bad guys. :cool:
    Great ep tonight. :bigthumb: