Why does everyone like Lost in Translation?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lance1019, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Lance1019

Lance1019 Get ready for a punch in the dick!

??? I dont get it. I found it to be a boring drama about shit that I already have experienced. Please explain.

2. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

You are right, it sucks. Good acting sure, but it's a typical Oscar film. Stupid fucking plot that goes nowhere.

3. Lance1019

Thank god!!! Someone else that hates it. I love Bill Murray, and his parts at the beginning were great, but this movie sucked so hard overall.

4. joy division

joy division New Member

Because its fucking amazing. Hilarious. Touching. Great cinematography, great directing, great soundtrack. Lots of fun, happy, sad, touching.

I'd assume most people who don't like it either 1. expected groundhog day. 2. like rob schneider movies or 3. are too young /inexperienced to know what the movie is about and be able to feel empathy/relate to the characters.

5. lolac101

lolac101 New Member

agreed :bigthumb:

6. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

perfectly worded.. i cant imagine a film with different actor/actress i really cant.

i would not change anything about the film. perfect lengh.

7. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I loved the stories it told about lonely people. And I loved that it showed people who desperately wanted a relationship but couldn't.

The scene where Scarlett finds out Bill "cheated" on her with the lounge singer was great.

8. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

The film was well made from a techincal standpoint but it didn't do it for me. I think the fact Bill Murray was playing a more serious role and played it well helped get it a lot more press.

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:rofl: Good one! It's always clever to say the exact opposite of the truth when you want to really get your meaning across. Like when you call a really huge guy "Tiny". :bigthumb:

Seriously, though, I think they spent too much on the director, the actors, and the camera work. They obviously didn't have enough left over to get a good script.

That's a really stupid thing to say, which boils down to "Everybody who doesn't agree with me is just not intelligent enough to agree with me." :ugh:

The problem with this movie is that it's not about anything. There's no conflict and resolution. There's no story. There's no plot. Nothing happens except these two people go places and do things. Why pay to watch that shit? You could just as easily pick two random people at the mall, follow them around, and watch what they do and where they go.

If you enjoy movies that aren't really about anything, good for you! Enjoy the hell out of it. But don't pretend that there's something really deep going on beneath the surface that the rest of us philistines aren't able to grasp.

10. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

because about every 3 minutes you find yourself going "what an incredible shot" and every 10 minutes you ask yourself how great of an actor is bill murray. it captures just about every feeling you have when you're out of place, when you're away from the things you're comfortable with. Its such a brilliant love story about 2 strangers with no physical relationship who will have changed each other for the better for the rest of their lives but at the same time its such a tragedy that their relationship ends just as suddenly as it began. Its funny, about half of my friends love it and half of my friends hate it, and its easy to figure out which is which. The ones that hate it are dying to know what he says to her at the end, and the ones that love it realize that it doesnt matter what he said that the point of the movie was the time they shared in that place and not what will or will not happen in the future

11. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Cuz she is hot.

12. Lance1019

Hmmm... nope. I hated it because of all the shit you liked it for. I have already experienced all of that shit you described, just in different ways. And those memories mean more to me than some director could try to tell me. And I could care less what he says at the end. Why would someone commit such boring, smaller than life movie to film. Movies are supposed to be bigger than life, show you something that you haven't experienced, kind of thing.

And I understand all the intricacy and artistry of shooting and directing, and I respect it. But who likes a movie because it has an "incredible shot" in it?

13. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

I feel bad for you. Personally, I like watching good film, not over the top film. I've seen bigger than life more times than I've seen honesty.

Citizen Kane wouldn't be half as amazing as it is if it weren't for all of the camera shots.

14. Joe_Cool

Bullshit. Great movies are great because of the story. Story always comes first in a great film. You watch a movie to be told a story, not to see great shots. If you want to see great shots, go to a photography exhibit. Good photography adds to the movie, but no matter how good the photography is, if the story is shit, then the movie is worthless. This one is a perfect example. Do you think people watch 12 Angry Men (which is 1012 times better than Lost in Translation) to fawn over great shots? :slap:

And add me to the list of people who don't give a fuck what he says to her at the end. In fact, I turned it off before it got to the end because it was the most completely pointless and boring thing I'd ever seen. Like I've said before, you could pick two random people at the mall, follow them around for a couple hours, and have a more interesting time.

I think people who rave about how wonderful this movie is are the same type of people who ooh and aah over "art" that a 3rd grader could create, just because they heard that that's what all the cool kids like this season.

News flash, people: The emperor has no clothes on.

15. HoodRich

I do. there was this terrible nicholas cage movie that came out about a year ago called national treasure. Unbelievably bad movie but I still watch it on occasion because there are 2 incredibly well shot moments in it. Its not like the movie tricked you into watching it, the tone didnt all of a sudden change, its a sofia coppolla movie you've seen the virgin suicides you know what she's about. If you want bigger than life movies stick to the Michael Bay and sofia's cousins movies, the movie snake eyes might interest you. The point of the movie was to try to express feelings that we've all felt before that was the point, to make you remember how good you felt when you had those same experiences that everyone has had.

16. Lance1019

1. You just called it terrible and unbelievably bad. How much could you actually like the movie? I did not say "who would watch a movie...". I said "Who likes a movie..."

2. I dont think your getting what I mean by "larger than life". I dont mean every movie should be batman or sin city. I'm just saying that a movie should show you something that is tough for your average everyday movie going working man to readily experience. Perhapse a romantic comedy (dont try to argue this, no ones relationship turns out like that shit). Maybe an incredible story based upon true events (Braveheart, Saving private ryan). And while we are on the subject of true stories, there is a reason they are only ever "based" on a true story... Because real life never gets as incredible as a movie. So whenever I watch a movie I dont want to watch some crap that happens around me everyday in highschools, malls, etc. etc. Making a movie like lost in translation is like making a movie about my summer fling. I have already experienced shit like that. I dont want to watch a movie of myself watching tv or driving around. Why make a movie like that? Its just so boring...

17. joy division

joy division New Member

You are definitely #2, you love rob schneider movies. You need everything presented to you on a plate to try to understand what is going on. You probably love star wars and lord of the rings.

The second a movie makes you want to wonder about something your brain explodes and you go listen to kmfdm.

18. joy division

joy division New Member

You are a complete douche bag.

19. Joe_Cool

I'm just not somebody who pretends to see depth in nonsense to try to seem intelligent.

20. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I go to movies to see things I wouldn't normally, but I also go to movies that are very well made.

I just found LIT so different from the typical Hollywood fare and also so well made. Maybe the haters just saw it at a bad time.

21. joy division

joy division New Member

what does enjoying a movie have to do with being intelligent :ugh:

I'm sure there are dozens of films that you enjoyed that I would walk out of, different strokes for different folks...I would say its nonsense or bullshit, but you see something that interests you and you watch it.

22. Lance1019

Good point! You've changed my mind completely! Maybe Lost in Translation wasn't such a shit-bag of a movie after all... :ugh2:

23. Joe_Cool

I'm sure there are. The difference is that I KNOW that I enjoy some really bad movies. I love Manos: The Hands Of Fate. I love Plan 9 From Outer Space. I love Kiss Daddy Goodby.

I happily admit that there are some really, truly, shitty movies that I enjoy the hell out of. I like a lot of mediocre movies. I like a lot of not bad but not great movies. But when they're bad, I acknowledge that they're bad.

I'm sure there are some people who genuinely enjoy LIT (only God knows why), but the majority of its fans (that I've met, at least) are bandwagon faggots who say they like it because it was nominated for best picture and all the cool kids like it. And I'll say again: The emperor is naked. Most people like it because they're SUPPOSED to like it. Yes it had good photography. Yes it had fairly good acting. But the script was absolute shit. I can appreciate that was some good to it, but I will NOT say it was a good movie.

24. joy division

joy division New Member

I saw it the day it was out in theaters, was excited for it along time before it came out. I love alot of bad movies too (see every van dammage movie ever made). Lance I wasn't going to try to convince you of anything, its hard to teach a retarded kid how to dance...waste of time.

25. HoodRich

ok, because i definetly did not like national treasure. I do however watch it on occasion.