Why does everyone flame on Windows Me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mastermojo, Dec 4, 2003.

1. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

I know it was rushed out the door and everything, but what does it have/lack compared to other Microsoft OS's that makes it so crappy. I have it on my other computer and haven't had a problem with it yet. :confused:

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

consider yourself pretty lucky

3. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

Because it is crappy OS.

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

5. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

cause it serves no real purpose. it was just a holdover from 98se to xp, so that MS could sell a couple more copies and keep their user base. it is only scratch code from 98 and 2000 put together and nothing more, no new stuff or improvements

6. sonicyouth

sonicyouth Guest

I never thought there was much of a problem either until I actually got rid of it and tried other OS'

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Ditto to whatever everyone else said..

On top of that, Microsoft let it out too early.. if I remember the numbers, it had over 400 initial bugs upon release (probably more then that). Had some major compatibility issues, especially if you were to upgrade it from 98 to ME.

8. MP

MP New Member

well besides the gaping security holes it STILL has it's very unstable and VERY VERY inneficiant.

9. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

It was the most unstable OS I ever ran. It crashed CONSTANTLY. It just all out sucked, I hated it. I think that about sums up your question.

10. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

11. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

What kind of security holes and inefficiencies does it have specifically? I know that it doesn't come with a built-in firewall like XP, but that doesn't bother me since I have McAffee (sp?), so how is it so bad?

Also, so since there are no improvements really from 98, I basically bought a more expensive copy of Windows 98?

12. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

not quite, they tried to combine it with some code from win 2000 (as in the lack of dos) and MS didn't put near enough time into integrating the new code. they just threw it together and released it

13. DatacomGuy

I disagree with Drewski.. I think it's more or less 98 with a few of 2000 features and 'plugins'..

In my opinion, YES, WinME is a pricier copy of Win98.. and what does that extra money get you? Nothing but security holes, bugs, and compatibility issues.

14. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

sorry, i was trying to say more or less the same thing, that they just tacked on some 2000 stuff, and mostly interface/looks, no new real features. they only think acomplished by adding a bit of 2000 was messing up the 98 that was not perfect to begin with

15. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I have had people with not much experience at all tell me that ME sucks. :dunno: Sounds like it is the general consensus.

16. DatacomGuy

:werd::bigok:

17. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Well let me put it this way.... I had ME the first day it came out, just like I had XP Pro the first day it was out.

I went home, installed ME, and one week later I was formatting to put 98 back on my machine. After installing, I found it to be incompatible with half of my hardware, my programs ran slower than ever before, and it would crash practically every hour on the hour.

On the other hand, when I first got and installed XP, I fell in love and haven't used any other Windows OS since. :bigthumb: XP is one of the best OSs ever to come out of Redmond, I thoroughly belive. Practically bulletproof as I've found.

18. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

My first roommate in college had ME on his computer (a gateway :hs: ) and it was so terrible, I found myself reformatting his computer every week. After the second or third time of doing that, I tried XP on my machine and liked it alot, so I put it on his sorry ass machine. Low and behold, it never gave him (well me really :hs: ) any problems and ran like a champ. ME was slow and unstable. A nightmare to work with.

19. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

So I want to hear about ALL THOSE security holes STILL in there.

Do you actualy know what they are or are you just repeating what someone else may or may not have known.

20. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

but on a more positive note...it reboots fast :big grin:

21. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Take a sorry excuse for an OS (Win9x) hastily slap some GUI "enhancements" and other useless, poorly thought out crap on it, tell people its New and Improved. There you have WinME.

22. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:wtf: I replied to this thread already.

Anyway, it's because it's not very stable or secure, and is just plain bad. ME is based on the old DOS/3.1/9x platform, whereas 2k and XP are based on the NT platform, which is much much better.

23. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

ME was more stable than 98SE for me as well :o

but 2000/XP >>>> MSOS

24. jrmy

jrmy Guest

it really sux dude get rid of that shit!!ASAP!!
    (my dad has it,fixing to clean install to win xp pro:) , one of the major probs he has is freacking memory usage my god it hogs memory)