why does every laptop/laptop company suck so much ass?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Apr 13, 2009.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Apple makes pretty overpriced computers with internal batteries that will die inside a year. Dell makes reasonably-priced fail machines. IBM doesn't make a 13.3" LED LCD for less than $2,000. HP has put Voodoo basically out of business. Alienware doesn't make anything smaller than 15.4". Acer and Asus can't figure out how to make something that doesn't feel like a cheap toy. Sony is Sony, so it blows fagnuts. Toshiba, Samsung, Compaq, etc can't make anything that's actually enjoyable to use. Who did I miss?

2. White Stormy

I want a 13" LED LCD, backlit keyboard, webcam, HDMI, and eSATA in a shell that isn't complete trash.

closest I've been able to find are the macbook (which has displayport instead of HDMI, and no eSATA, and the battery will probably die in a year) and the Dell XPS Studio 13 (which is a dell.. so it'll probably break or already have something wrong with it when I get it)

they're the same price.. $1500-1600.. though the dell comes with a 128GB SSD (preferred) instead of the macbook's 250GB PATA drive

First thing I would do with the macbook would be to install windows on it.

Not really psyched about either option.

3. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

4. White Stormy

5. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

6. White Stormy

the only 13.3" notebook they have is the Voodoo Envy. Price starts at $1900 for a 1.6ghz cpu and 80gb ata.. and it has a 1 hr 40 min battery life.

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

wait, what are your requirements?

i just got a lenovo sl300.

13.3" led backlit, nvidia gpu, c2d, hdmi out, dvd burner for $550 after tax.

it's not an ultraportable... it's the heaviest and thickest of all 13.3"... but much less than $2000....

8. White Stormy

1280x800 13" LED LCD, Backlit keyboard, P series Core2Duo CPU, 3-4GB RAM, HDMI, eSATA, 802.11 B/G/N, 4-5+ Hours of battery life, Webcam.. with a large touchpad (or at the very least.. not small) and reasonably thin and light.

that one actually looks really decent (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4582), though.. which is probably why it isn't on the Lenovo site.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...AA2442B937039C5DECF1DBF&tab=1#tab-container-5
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...DE54435882FABC3CE1BC569A&filter=Screen Size_1

they must have discontinued it already.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

same reason why pre-built desktops suck

10. White Stormy

computers in general are gay and stupid. I hate all of them.

11. White Stormy

I probably chose the wrong profession.

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

it's not discontinued, it's just out of stock... the $500 price tag was obviously to get rid of inventory... gone within a couple days. same sale for the sl400 and it's already back instock... the sl300 will probably come back later, but probably not at the low price, but you never know.

the sl300 doesn't have a backlit keyboard, esata... has a small touchpad and is not thin nor light for it's class... 5 lbs...

there are thin samsung's i think...

13. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

Have you looked at the tx2z tablet line? It's got a 12.1" screen and multi-touch. I've got one and it meets my needs for portability etc., as a student. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure recently there was a 650$ deal for one on slickdeals recently. So I'm sure the coupon will resurface in the future again sometime.

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

MacBook uses SATA, not PATA/IDE.

You're gonna have to compromise with a notebook.
    And the battery is not gonna die within a year. I have a MacBook, think its a late '06 and it's still running like a champ. I still get ~4 hrs out of the battery.

15. White Stormy

yeah I meant just non-SSD

my brother's first-gen macbook battery has been dead since about fall 07. my brother-in-law's macbook is from 07 and the battery was dead before summer 08.. my sister's macbook is from early 08 and the battery was dead by christmas. no joke.

I still love the design of it, but that's retarded.

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Well Apple will replace the battery for free if it's still under warranty, sounds like your family's MB's were within warranty. I recommend you get Apple Care if you end up getting a MB.

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

They are pretty good with the battery swaps, your family either hasnt tried or is dealing with a shitty store. If it dies within a year they often swap it over the counter, I had a powerbook battery swapped one after 2.75 years (3 year warranty) and about 600 cycles. and the macbook battery is removable.

18. White Stormy

the apple stores here are really shitty. too many dumb people for them to prey on, so they forget about customer service.

19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Complain to the store manager if you feel they are not giving you the service you think you should be getting. If that doesn't work, a call to Apple should take care of that. I'm sure headquarters wouldn't like one of their stores not servicing machines under warranty.

20. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Honestly, other than the MacBook, I don't what else to suggest for that price range & feature set.

There are 2 Apple Stores in Toronto that blow (people there have NO idea what they are talking about, it's a little sad when a customer, me, schools sales reps there in what their product does/what they do), but one is actually staffed by knowledgeable people, surprisingly. Guess it depends on the area.

21. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

The sales reps, well, they're just sales reps. Now if it's someone at the Genius Bar, then yeah, I would hope they know what they are doing. They seem to be knowledgeable people from what I have seen.

22. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

That's like asking a purple unicorn to shit a gold brick in your hand.

23. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

My asus laptop would be great if the keyboard worked.

Instead, the sentence I just posted would have looked like "My asus latop would e greatif the keybard worked."

24. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Computers aren't made for nerds or computer geeks, or engineers.

Computers are made for the people who will spend too much money on not enough equipment: The average population.

Just accept this fact and move on.

25. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

This girl walked in to the university store yesterday where they sell Lenovos and Macs. I overheard her say that her Mac got stolen or something. She's like, "What price do the macs start off at?" The sales guy is like, "The base model starts at 899$." Girl, "COOL, I don't mind paying that. I'll pay anything to get a computer right now."

I was about to go over there and tell her what's up. But I :rofl:'d and kept on my way.