why do you ride?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Boudreaux, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

after reading this :

I Ride
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By: Janna Denig [/font]

I ride because it's the only thing I've ever found that makes you focus purely in the moment, on pain of death. There is no dwelling on the past when you're dodging potholes and coils of shredded truck tire on 880. There can be no daydreaming about things that might happen in the future when you're reading the terrain to determine if that dark patch up ahead is an oil slick, or merely a shadow. The only things that are in your consciousness, if you're doing your job right, are things that are happening Right Now. The smell of baking bread as you lean into a curve on the highway, holding your line, smoothly rolling on the throttle. The hand of the woman driving the Ford Explorer next to you as it rises, carrying the dreaded cell phone to her ear as she speeds up to 90. The jittery movements of the kid in the Mustang as he zips through traffic like he were on a sportbike, which he's NOT. The feel of the engine, right there, not hidden inside a box of metal many inches away. The wind slapping at you as though it were testing your reflexes. The temperature going from warm to cool in a second, as you ride beneath the limbs of trees. I don't ride because of the danger. I'm not a thrill seeker. I ride in spite of it. I ride because it keeps my tendency towards depression at bay. It rinses out my brain as though I had cracked opened the top of my skull and lain down in a clear, rushing river. Riding has shown me my own strength, my own ability to get myself out of harm's way, to think fast and move faster. And the best lesson riding has shown me so far is this: Look where you want to go, and that's exactly where you'll end up.

I ride because it is one of the few things I am passionate about. It is the only thing that brings a smile to my face unquestionably. People think its goofy when i tell them that i am passionate about sport bike riding, and call me an "organ Doner", but they just dont understand. Not being able to ride on everyday is so hard for me. On the way home from afternoon classes on campus, i stick my hand out the window, as a smile birthed by pure pleasure creeps upon my so often frowning face. How someone can go thru life without something affecting them like this is beyond me. I don't want to go get my own bike to impress the ladies, go fast, "cheat death", get a rush, i want one because of not only the reasons stated by Miss. Denig, but also because i feel connected to teh machine that i am RIDING, not driving. The machine and i are connected on an extreme level, having the mode of your transportation between your legs is a thought of pure arrousal and bliss. I know many of you feel the same way about your bikes and why you ride, and someday i will be able to enjoy this too on an everyday basis. People say guy's think about sex so many times a day, well....while that is true, every other second im dreaming about riding.

2. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

Freedom. Its a connection between man and machine like no other I've ever felt. The sound of the engine that can go from a smooth burble to raspy shrieks with the small turn of the wrist. The feeling you get when you hit a turn just right and the bike leans over just that much farther. Rolling on the throttle as you pass the apex of a turn and smoothly standing the bike back up while leaning forwards to keep the front end planted. Its the smile it brings to my face no matter how bad my day has been, that can only be removed by the onslaught of rain in the near future. The fact that everything going on in your life disappears from your mind the longer you ride. The way that I lose track of time and think that I've been out for half an hour while two hours has passed. I said it before and I'll say it again. . . . Freedom.

3. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

...brilliant....c'mon people, more!

4. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

maybe I'm just fresh since I've ridden 300 miles in the past 10 days and I haven't left town :p

5. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

It takes my mind off of school, work, and any other kind of burden or problem I have. When I'm out riding, everything goes away and it makes me happy. I just go along for the ride.

:o

I'm so corny.

6. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I do it for the chicks.

;)

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

for me (quad mx) its that fine line between chaos and control. Its that moment when you get teh 5 second light you bring up the revs start to ease the clutct, bang teh gate drops all of the anticpatien pays off you work the clutch to keep just the right amount of rpm and traction, you notice that you a good tire length ahead of teh guy next to you then upshift without thinking. The quad is a part of you you know exacty when to apply gas clutch upshift down shift brake lean. you come into the first coner running 4 wide on a track that will maybe fit to inces away from teh guy beside you you burry the throttle hopping the front end grabs enough to keep you form collecting the guy beside you . Hit the jump at the pefect speed to land so smooth your not sure if you are still in the air or not. The next thing you know those 7 laps have gone bye and you are shaking hands and heading to the pit to check it over and do it all over agin

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

This kinda goes against what most sportbikers preach, curvy roads and what not... but I fell in love with riding because of the power, and I still love the power. There's nothing better than an interstate on-ramp and a powerful sport bike when it comes to stress therapy. If there's something bothering you, as soon as you twist that throttle back your cares simply disappear. It's like freebasing pure adrenaline.

That is not to say that I'm a "straight liner" because I'm not. I spend my fair share of time blasting down twisty country back roads, but I do not feel that it's safe to enjoy this portion of riding when you're mentally distraught in some way. But once traffic clears and you can unleash the power, it doesn't take much skill to simply hold on and keep the bike on the road.

9. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

I thought this thread would be more popular :hs:

10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

To be honest, despite what I said... I don't really know exactly why I ride. I just do. As long as I get a smile on my face every time I fire the bike up, and have to stop, turn, and admire the machine before I close the garage door when I'm done... I'll keep riding.

11. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

good talkin yo.....

I am the same way....when i take out the bike and let her warm up i have to sit and look at her for a bit...shes got the curves of a super model. and i can't help but smile at different times of my rides...like when a $40,000 to $60,000 sports car pulls up on me on the highway and all i need to do is cock the wrist back and no more sports car!!!....then when i put her back in the garage to sleep after the days work out i have to admire her again too.

I don't know why i do it....but i do...and i like it.

12. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

I love riding because you and the bike become one. Your body and your movements are just as important as the tires contacting the asphalt. I love that when I want to change lanes it's like I think about changing lanes and the bike reacts. I love full throttle blasts getting on the freeway and blipping the throttle on downshifts. I love getting off the bike after a spirited ride and checking the tires to see how far down the tire wear has gone. God, so corny, but damn, makes me want to jump on for a quick spin. :)

13. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

14. rider

rider New Member

I don't know why I ride either. I get all of the same feelings that ya'll have expressed before me, but even still, it's hard to express why I ride. I just feel like I HAVE to, like I'm SUPPOSED to, like it's a part of me. I ride, therefore I am.

15. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

Purists would probably look down upon me for saying why I ride, even call me a squid, it's happened before and it will happen again, I don't give a fuck.

I am not the asshole flying down the shoulder in mid day traffic kicking up rocks on cars, I don't split cars, I don't make unsafe passes on other riders, but late at night I do ride like a fucking maniac. I have topped out every bike I have ever ridden just about, I do wheelie down the road, I do drag knee on the street, I have scraped my foot peg at 160mph...It's what I ride for. I don't ride for some kind of zehn or bullshit, you won't find me going the speed limit on a twisty back road observing the scenery.

I ride for the thrill, the freedom, as a rebellion to a society in which I don't feel I belong. Mad at your government for taking away your freedoms, twist your wrist, mad at your boss and the corporate machine eating away at your potential and individuality, twist your wrist, mad at your girlfriend for cheating on you, twist your wrist, mad at the cop that said he hopes you die because of your choice of transportation, twist your wrist, mad at the assholes in the world who are unhappy and would say or do anything to put you down, twist your wrist...or maybe the temperature is good, the sky is filled with sun, and you couldn't be happier, twist your wrist...it will make a bad day good, a good day better, and the problems of the world aren't in your mind when you are going deep triple digits and fighting for traction in your favorite esses...It's a primal thrill, your mind is so simple and clear then, you are in situations that falses moves will end your life in, and you just concentrate, say fuck the world and go for it...

So call me a squid, tell me I am going to die, it will make a difference, I will go faster just to spite you....

16. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

17. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

:wtc: :bigthumb: