GUN "Why do you need to carry a weapon?"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, May 30, 2007.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

How do you guys respond to the annoying questions people ask like:

"Why do you need to carry a weapon?"

"What are you afraid of?"

"Are you trying to be a gangster/cowboy/tough guy?"

I have responded many times with a simple explanation. I say that my reason for wanting to carry, is that I never want to be one of those victims (read sheep) who willingly goes along with a gunmans (read any attacker) orders. I never want to be in a situation where I have no control over and I am being lined up against a wall with others who are being executed for listening. My thought is that if you comply with the attacker you die, so why not posses the skill to use a tool to defend yourself? At that point you have nothing to lose for trying to actually take control of your life instead of being a spineless victim.

What are your thoughts on this, and what do you guys say?

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

"Ever see a zombie movie when they first show up? Ever see the first people who are attacked and killed aren't carrying guns?"

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This is just my take on it, but I think you have a hard time selling people on our stance when you talk about sheep, compliance, etc. Some of those concepts seem to be past what they think about. I try to keep it short and simple and say something along the lines of "the police aren't always there when you need them, this gives me a chance until they can get there to help me."

The underlying thinking that I just don't understand at all is how many people think its a badge of courage to be helpless when they're out in the world. They will go so far as to brag they can't protect their lives or their families lives against an addict with a knife. I don't know how people get to think the world is such a perfect place that no one could ever wish to do them harm. How the person who carries a tool to help protect themselves gets labeled as a person trying to be a tough guy and the person think they're so invulnerable that they won't ever need any weapons didn't get that label is beyond me.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

"Why do you need to carry a weapon?"
    I don't need to, but I have the right to do it and I choose to exercise that right. There are plenty of bad people running around with guns, there should be some good ones too.

"What are you afraid of?"
    I am afraid of spiders hiding in my boots :noes:

"Are you trying to be a gangster/cowboy/tough guy?"
    Actually, I'm trying to be the Terminator. Let me tell you about my morning ritual... First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked terminator traveling through time" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing either Arnold or the guy from the second movie (not the chick in the third one because that one sucked) and I start to hum the terminator theme. Then I slowly rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg.

5. Ghostrider4450

Thats a very good point, as I often get frustrated at the lack of logic and try the sheep/helpless/spineless approach. I mean I am in no way paranoid or scared of the world around me. I am just not oblivious of nieve to believe that no harm can come to me. My father tells me that "You live in Sarasota Florida, what could possibly happen that would require you to carry a handgun?" keep in mind this is a man who had guns all around his house as a young adult. He had a S&W .357 in a holster under his desk and a pump shotgun next to his bed. I just dont get how people can sit there and believe that bad things are always happening somewhere else, and that there is no need to carry a tool to defend yourself in the off-chance that you are attacked.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

:rofl:

Seriously though, I took the class mainly because the laws are very vague in Texas in terms of traveling with a handgun. If I am going to the range, and stop to get gas, I broke the law in Texas. Not that the likelihood of me getting caught is high, I just like to be legal. I do plan on carrying when I am traveling though. I have family in Alabama, and that is a long car drive. Plenty of places to have a flat tire or something else, and I want to be able to feel secure (as possible) if I have to pull over on an Interstate at 3 in the morning in the middle of nowhere. The Texas CHL has reciprocity in 38 other states, including all the ones I would travel through to see my family in AL, so I am covered.

I don't really plan on carrying on a daily basis, simply because Austin is not that scary of a place to be. We have a "bad" part of town, but I am not there hardly ever. However, I do plan on getting a small concealable pistol/revolver for the occasion, should I need to.

7. Ghostrider4450

I think the problem with this is that you dont know when something bad might happen. Just like you dont carry a spare tire when you "think" you might get a flat, you cant predict when you will need to carry.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

very true.

I carry in case I need it. Bad things DO happen. Sure there isn't a huge chance that I will need to use it, but there is a chance, so why not take a tiny bit of precaution and carry?

Blah blah, spare tires, blah blah fire extinguishers, blah blah seat belts...

9. Zackkahry

Zackkahry New Member

Why do you have a spare tire in your car?

10. Ghostrider4450

Its under my car, pardon me lol.

11. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

I carry because I am one of the good guys. I'm not naive enough to believe that the bad guys won't have weapons simply because it's illegal. After all they are the bad guys. I'm not trying to be a tough guy or a cowboy. It is my right as a Texan and an American to carry. I choose to exercise that right. I wear my seat belt, I carry a pistol. I hope to never need either.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

generally, people who know I have guns either a) accept it and don't question why, or b) wonder why I don't have more.

But when somebody finds out I have rifles and asks why I have them, I generally just ask "Why not?". If they respond with the traditional grabber response, then I just walk away. If they don't (say, they seriously want to know why I am into guns), then I generally give them a straight answer about competition, responsibility, the "just in case" factor, etc

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

1) In case I need to shoot someone.
    2) Getting killed/maimed/raped.
    3) No, are you trying to be a metrosexual, limp-wristed, eyebrow tweezing bitch?

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Carrying a weapon in a vehicle for a number of specific purposes is allowed so long as you don't make any "significant" detours (subject to interpretation of course). Getting gas is hardly a detour so long as it's arguably on the way to or from some specific task such as going to a range/gunsmith/sale or purchase of weapon/etc.

The issue that keeps coming up is the "traveling" statute and the insistence of some police departments and prosecutors of trying to confiscate "illegally concealed weapons" when a person is clearly traveling... but the legislature refuses to define "traveling," so the problem persists...

15. johan

johan Active Member

"why do you wear your seatbelt?"

I dont feel the need to respond beyond that. I dont need to explain or justify my actions.
    If they wont be satisfied with the above (i.e. anti) nothing I say will be relevant or convincing anyways.

16. Freakin' Rican

Freakin' Rican New Member

I will carry because my cousin stopped a rape because he was carrying.

no one can deny my anecdotal evidence. :big grin:

17. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

You cant, because their mind is already made up. Just think about it. All were asking for is the freedom to choose to carry guns if we want. Not force them upon others. What theyd like to do though is outlaw any and every cc license. They are radical left wing when we are nowhere radical right wing

Just like abortion. They try to outlaw all types of abortion (even for rape cases) when all the other side is trying to do is fight for their freedom of choice. Theyre not trying to make it law saying you HAVE to get an abortion if you become pregnant. This is why I am for the latter peoples cause. Were kinda fighting the same war

18. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well, I also work in the Architectural field, and my firm works almost exclusively with hospitals and primary schools. I can't carry most times.

19. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around this kind of thinking, also. People are constantly bombarded with negative stories on the news, local and national. Unless it is a really slow news day do you ever see a positive story on the news. Yet these people are capable of convincing themselves that it could never happen to them. It's always going to be the other people that are on the news that it happens to, not them.

Living in Florida, I think it's analogous to keeping two weeks worth of food and water, at the minimum, in case of a hurricane. It always amazes me at how many people rush to the stores whenever the possibility of a hurricane making landfall exists. They live in Florida, it's not exactly a rare event that we're threatened with a hurricane, yet they still don't take the threat seriously.

20. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I just say yes and /discussion

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

It's pretty simple really. "That's none of your business. Have a nice day now."

22. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:rofl:

23. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I don't think it's so much that they don't think it could happen to them (on some level it is, but not completely) - they really think that if it DOES happen to them, it was MEANT to happen to them (I really think they do). I've had several people tell me now "If I was meant to go that way, then so be it." I wanted to strangle them, but they would probably just think it's their "time to go" anyway :mad:

They think that it's such a rare or remote possibility that it's fated for them to die at the hands of some criminal - it's like they think there's a criminal lottery that they "win" and that's that.

Then there's the whole thing about guns only making matters worse... that a criminal is a good-hearted person until someone fights back, then they turn into murderers and it's not THEIR fault, it's the fault of the person that was stupid and tried to fight back, thus changing the good-hearted criminal into a killing machine.

Also that a criminal is a super-trained killing force that could never possibly be bested because they live their life every day with "street-training" thus making it all but impossible for anyone but a law enforcement officer, who has the exact same SUPER street-training as the criminals, and thus are the ONLY people capable of stopping these criminal super-juggernauts.

It's so damn frustrating to talk to these people. Logic has no place in their minds. It's all about the fear.

:rofl: sorry for the length - I guess I had to rant a little bit :hs:

24. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Completely with you there Gimik. Well said.

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Because I choose not to be a victim.