GUN Why do you guys carry concealed guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wizard of Poz, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Just wondering. Are you guys waiting for a hold up and be a hero or something? People are out to get you? Whats the need for it?

2. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Why do people wear seatbelts?

3. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

To protect themselves from accidents. If you are carrying a gun for protection, why? Bad area? Why not pepper spray or learn self defence.

4. Infrastructure

Infrastructure New Member

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

go away troll.

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Hero? :rofl: Fuck no. If someone else is having a problem, that's THEIR problem. If someone pulls a weapon on me, that is also their problem :o

7. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

I dont carry a weapon and have no need to.

8. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I am going to start working on getting my CHL VERY soon. Why? Well, I want to have it for protection. I have a wife and 20 month old son, and if anything ever went down, I would want every advantage possible. I am a firm believer in the saying, "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Interestingly enough, my wife and I got into a discussion about this last night. She does not see the validity in carrying a firearm, especially because we live in a VERY/Extremely good area where there is virtually no crime. She is under the impression that having a gun is dangerous because you will automatically use/pull it in situations where it is otherwise not needed, cause escallation of said situation. I tried explaining that you NEVER even let on you have one UNLESS it is ABSOLUTELY nessesary, but she doesn't understand. She said, "What if someone had a gun to my head, or knife to my throat, how would the gun not make it worse?" Well, because I wouldn't pull it. I am not dumb, and I am not a hot head at all. I take after my Dad a great deal in my personality and temperment, so I am very passive and very level headed. He carried his whole life, and never pulled once, because he never HAD too...

I dunno, Sarah and I respectfully (I do respect her opinion) agree to disagree, but I feel kinda odd planning to carry when she doesn't %100 back me up... I dunno... :hs:

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

10. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

i saw the first matrix and ever since then, i've wanted guns...lots of guns.

11. J_75

J_75 New Member

:werd:

I've only gotten in 1 major accident (i.e. where a seatbelt saved me from injury), and that was more than 4 years ago.......so why do I wear a seatbelt now? Because something might happen where that belt could save my life.

Obviouisly, it's a different situation with a weapon, but the same principle applies. Like they say in the world of motorcycles - "Dress for the crash".....expect the worst, hope for the best

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If this isn't enough of a response for you, ShadowFax, then i'm sorry, but we will never be able to explain it to you. Seatbelts might seem uncomfortable, stupid, etc, but once one saves your life in a car accident, you learn to appreciate their value. Same with a gun.

If you live in a country where the police follow you around 24/7 to make sure no harm comes to you, more power to you.

If a person with no criminal convictions feels they are better protected from life's uncertainties by carrying a firearm, there is no reasonable excuse to deny them that right.

13. kellyclan

While she might be "better" if she agreed ;), you got a good woman there if she disagrees but respects you doing what you feel is in the best interest of your family. She may change her mind, she may never, but if you take the responsibility of owning/carrying seriously, she'll always have to respect you for that.

You don't have to put up with less shit, you have to put up with more. And sometimes the confidence brought by knowing you are ready for the worst allows you clear thought to take a less confrontational way out of danger.

14. Platinum_Thunder

I also live in a very good place, but you never know. Plus I travel to Kalamazoo and Detroit often. Not the safest places in the world.

15. kellyclan

Because spray doesn't work reliably enough to bet my life on. And i don't like getting blood on my dainty little hands. :joshers:

16. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Pepper spray: you dont have very much range, and you have to get it right in their eyes.
    Learning Self defense: What if the bad guy has a knife? or any other weapon? Or if he's unarmed, then lets look at a friend of mine. He's about 5 ft tall, not much more than 100 lbs, even if he did know kung fu or something, a 6ft 200lb mugger could still overpower him.

17. mrbill

mrbill New Member

let's also not forget the pepper spray doesn't work on all people(and i'm not even talking about the ones that are doped up). learn self defense? while some of us do, there is a limit to how effective it is. let's remember, this isn't the movies, just because you know some moves doesn't make you a one man army.

18. HPS

Honestly, I don't know that she will respect it at all, but she is cool enough not to tell me it forbidden. What I want her to understand is that the gun is a %100 last resort. All it does is extend your chances in a situation where your life is on the line. I also want her to understand that using it is not automatic. No matter how hairy the situation gets and no matter what the other person has, the gun doesn't play if it is going to make things worse. It's only used in the event that it not only HAS to be used, but that it will also END the situation, not escallate it. I dunno. I just wish she would realize that it's only a bad thing to carry if you make it a bad thing. If you keep a level head (like I said, I am very passive) and never pull it if not totally nessasary, then you will be better off if/when that one situation happens... :dunno:

19. HPS

I forgot. Even though we live in a great area, we still go out to other places. Anything can happen anywhere, which is the whole point of carrying. I would also like to be able to carry when we go to Dallas to visit, ya know? :hs:

20. Furner

Furner New Member

[​IMG]

alright ill be civil

but i still want to see this dude come in here and defend his position. as mentioned, it is much better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it. just becuase one person feels that concealed carry is unnecessary, that does not mean some of the people here may be in situations where the suprise of a weapon will send your robber/mugger/rapist running.
    you think you live in a good neighborhood? good neighborhoods for some may be an easy target, as they think many of them will not be armed. HPS will have a suprise waiting for them.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  21. mrbill

mrbill New Member

now now, the last thing we need is project a negative image of ourselves by bashing. despite how it may anger you, try to remain civil and sensible. convey your thoughts more tactfully and who knows, we may make some converts. run around bashing everyone who doesn't pack and it just gives them more reason to hate us.

22. RokeePower

RokeePower Guest

2 months ago I was sitting on my couch at 3:30 am when someone walked right up to my truck, and broke into the cab right outside my apt window.

I then walked out onto my patio and "confronted" the perp from there, (a fairly safe distance, about 20 feet). The perp then had a choice, walk away or take the situation to a more dangerous level (more dangerous for him and me).

The perp then decided it was a good idea to walk away. I did not pull on him, because I did not have too. Why did he decide to walk away? Part of him knew deep down inside that there is a chance this guy is about to pull on me (he was right).

Why do people carry? for the same reason they keep one in the house. The more likely a lawabbiding person has a gun with them, the more likely you are going to get shot if they try to rob/attack/whatever that person, the more likely they are going to get shot, the more likely they are going to walk away.

Guns ownership stops crimes before they happen.

23. Platinum_Thunder

You would have gotten your ass handed to you in court had you pulled that.

24. HPS

Actually i would depend on where you live...
    Also, he could pull it all he wants on his own property, but discharging it would have owned him...

(I could be wrong, but I think thats the case) :dunno:

25. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I wouldn't have pulled it out unless I was in fear of my life. You can't use deadly force to protect your property, not in my state anyway (NC). If you pulled the gun without being in danger, then you become the aggressor and are at fault for escalating the situation. You also don't want that guy running to the cops saying this crazy guy pulled a gun on me when all I was doing was walking by.