A&P Why do you do photography?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by yexy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. yexy

yexy New Member

I'm curious, OT...why are you into photography? Is it a job? Something to prove you're the best at? The desire to capture memories? The desire to create something amazing? Something to spend extra money on? Is it art, or something you just do to pass the time? Are you trying to say something or make a point? Trying to record the state of the world and its inhabitants?

Talk to me! :wavey:

2. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I would say all of the above. I like knowing that I take better photos than the average person. I like how I have a photo of just about everybody I've ever known (acquaintance or friend) since college. My photos are not that artsy, but I have a few photos that could be a postcard. I have spent a day here and there wandering around taking photos. I like making my own record of history. I photograph places in Chicago before, during and after construction. I also have Auto Show pictures from the last 15-20 shows and it's cool to see how a concept from 5 years ago becomes a car we drive today.

I enjoy sharing my photos and I like when I see a photo of mine that somebody else liked enough to display. Everybody deserves to have a good photo of themself and I do my best to share.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. yexy

yexy New Member

Very cool. :bigthumb:

4. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I do it so I dont spend money on cars.

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

It's how I make a living. It was a hobby in high school so I just continued it. Creating images has provided me with a good income over the past 30+ years.

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I do it for a personal challenge. I used to draw w/ pencil when I was younger and photography is my new pencil to draw with.

I also love to see others enjoy my work. I got so many compliments and requests to draw people, I almost hated quitting it... but now, I love people w/ my pictures in their house, profiles, etc. More of a challenge to be better than to spend a ton of money. I'm always wanting to learn new things.

7. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I just like seeing my photos on about 90% of my friends' profiles as their facebook pic, thats what drives me as an artist.

8. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I do it because it's fun. I love visualizing a shot or memory that I'd like to keep forever and making the camera capture that shot. I love looking at and editing the pictures afterwards. And I love seeing other people's reactions to my photographs.

9. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i do it to document things.

10. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

I love capturing that precise moment. I shot mainly motocross. I grew up riding and it's in my blood. I love the freedom it brings to be one with the bike. Hauling ass in the desert or ripping around a track.

I apply that love for riding to my photography. Being right in the action and seeing the best of the best performing amazing stunts.

I've shot a lot of different things but nothing can compete with MX.

11. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

Yeah that's a pretty good compliment from friends. :wiggle:

12. Snowballer

I do it more as a hobby for the past ten years. The market is too saturated to make the jump over to being a professional. Especially in this economy.

Otherwise I would stop working and start enjoying what I do on a daily basis. Damn bills getting in the way of fun.

13. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Sports - just for fun, so I can have those few pictures that just make people say "wow"

Everything else - I like to give others the opportunity to see the beautiful views that I have the opportunity to see. Also, I think my perspective on things is much different than most normal people, which gives people the chance to see things as I see them. :dunno: too cliche of an answer?

14. Manythanks

Manythanks Stay humble, don't mumble.

same.

15. aCab

aCab New Member

I do it cause I can't paint or draw, but I know what I like things to look like.

16. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

I like capturing people in their perfect moment. its something the client/person can cherish and its good to know it was me that captured that moment. Also I like creating images that a ordinary person cant, its very satisfying and I get a great sense of accomplishment out of it.

17. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

My memory sucks.

18. Primal

Primal Pavement Killer

I do it as a hobby. I like recording the moment or the things I see.
    I love it when I take pictures of my little girl and my wife takes em to work and tells me how much everyone loves em, it feels great when someone asks her where she got them done.
    I hope to take better and better pictures, I am very hard on myself and no picture I take ever looks good enough to me, but I keep learning and hope to someday be even half as good as some of the people on here.

19. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Mine doesn't suck yet, but maybe if I get Alzheimer's my grandkids can flip the pages of my photo albums in front of me to jog my memory!

20. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

It entertains me.

21. Daq

Daq New Member

started doing it in high school as an elective, fell in love with immediately. spent weekends in the darkroom. I'm pursuing a career in filmmaking, but photography has always been a close second. I love creating something and people say "wow, thats really incredible"

its a hobby more than anything. I do side jobs sometimes, its good extra income

22. themolsen

themolsen New Member

mostly, I think it's because I find lots of beauty in nature, architecture, or in life in general. patterns, complimentary colors, shapes, etc. I see things and I think, "wow how awesome. I wish I could share" And so that's what I try to do.

I find it to be a gigantic challenge to use a camera to capture a scene. Even just the look of it can be difficult because of the ways our eyes and brain see, but to also convey the feeling/emotion that goes with it adds to the challenge.

This keeps me "photographying"

23. Snowballer

This.

Supposedly bad memory at a young age is because of ADHD. :mamoru: That's what my doctor told me at least. Yikes.

ooh shiny

24. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I think I just smoked too much weed when I was younger.

25. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

Hobby. Personal challenge, to push myself to do something. And my way of trying to be creative. Used to paint, but meh. Cant really draw. Plus I love the idea of capturing moments in time.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009