SRS Why do we dream the things we dreamed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yolifeisgood, Dec 14, 2007.

1. yolifeisgood

yolifeisgood Member

sometimes you be dreaming of someone you dont even know, sometimes there be horror like in a movie, sometimes is out of the ordinary, sometimes it might depicts a moment where you actually had thought about it during daytime, sometimes you dreamed of something you actually want and desire

so my ultimately question is why is it like that?

2. BMH

BMH New Member

idk sometimes i dream of things that i did that day,but if i woulda done something i tought of doing but didnt.in my dream i do the opposite.

3. dano

dano OT Supporter

Psych-minor-who-thinks-he-knows-it-all coming in!

Dreams mean shit. It's just a mixed conundrum of stuff you encounter or think of throughout the day.

If something is on your mind more (work), you'll dream of work more, obviously. It may not be your work, but some form of labor.

4. yolifeisgood

yolifeisgood Member

if that than why do we sometimes dreamed of someone we dont even know of or an event so traumatic that we can't forget

5. smokeater270

smokeater270 New Member

Truth is no one knows why we even dream, let alone why we dream about certain things. Some say its a way for us to become active in our imagination, others say its just complete nonsense and means nothing. Perhaps, when seeing someone you've never met before its your brain creating this ideal person, good or bad, of someone you want to meet irl

Sometimes my dreams are so vivid and real like that i'll "wake up" only to realize that i've woken up in my dream....

The way I look at is, dreams are just that, dreams. I wouldn't look at them any deeper then that, and just forget about them when you wake up. If is so compels you to do so, write them down once you've awaken and see what you've been dreaming about over the last months

6. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I find that most of the things I dream relate to things I thought about at one point during that day. Could be something that's making me happy, bothering me, etc,

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

People you don't know? Like who, like having a beer with Chuck Norris or a random stranger?

Traumatic events is simple; it's so engraved into your memory that you can't help but think about it. Take PTSD for example.

8. Hubbard0

Hubbard0 New Member

There have been times in my dreams where I am able to consciously control what I'm doing in those dreams. I only have dreams once or twice a week and even then I'm lucky to get into it enough to remember anything. But every once in awhile I can see what I'm doing, think about it, and then go through with an action. I'm even aware that I am dreaming while doing this. I often use it as an opportunity to do something I never would in reality but sometimes putting too much effort into doing something wakes me up.

9. dano

dano OT Supporter

I know exactly what you're talking about. :rofl: Like you usually wouldn't punch your teacher, but you know it's a dream so you do it anyways...or at least start to make the attempt and then you wake up.