Why do studios release 2-channel Dolby Digital tracks on DVD's still?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GK, May 27, 2006.

1. GK

GK Tag Body Spray for Sick Cats

Most studios still release DVD's with 2ch DD and 5.1DD. Since 5.1 is automatically down-mixed to stereo it seems to me like it's a waste of space on the DVD.

The DVD consortium requires that the 5.1, 6.1, etc tracks have to be down-mixable to 2 channels.

I can't think of a logical reason why they keep releasing discs with 2 channels and wasting space that could be used to reduce compression on the video.

Any ideas?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

because people are like

"well i dont have 5 channels lolz, lets put it at 2 hurr hurr"

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Studios are retarded. If offering movies for download for >$20 with limited playback ability wasn't enough proof, I'm not sure what will be.

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Becuase there are still alot of people out there that havent adopted into true 5.1 yet, and are still useing older, antiquated Dolby Pro-Logic 1.0 recievers.
    Sad, but true.

Aomtimes, the 2.0 audio track, i have found, offers a less "compressed" sounding soundtrack, and has a tad more dynamic range to it.

There have been a couple of movies where i have switched over to the 2.0 audio track becuase the vocal mix was so poor. Switching to 2.0 solved that issue. And with the DPL2 decoding, the imersive imaging was still preaty well intact, and there was only a slight reduction in LFE performance. Mostly due to a lack of dynamicly presented LFE material in the 2.0 track.

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Unfortunately that's because too many mixing engineers don't know what they're doing.

To be honest though it makes no difference which way they offer it to me, but as long as either your DVD player or Receiver is like less than 5 years old you'll be able to play a multichannel encode.

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Well, there are people like me that have a 2.1 setup because I bought my speakers primarily for music and don't care a whole lot about the extra content in the other channels. I don't have a receiver. I have a pre-amp and amp, no processing goes on past the DVD player. As such, if I were to play a DVD at 5.1 I would be missing the rear content, and most importantly what the engineers decided to put to the center channel. So, by having the 2 channel content already mixed on the DVD, I retain all the content, and simply lose the staging I would achieve by having
    a 5.1 setup.

In short, for people that don't have receivers to do the re-mixing for them.