A&P Why do people switch from Canon to Nikon or vice versa?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by QWIKSNK, Jun 28, 2008.

1. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

I dont really get it

From my understanding, both companies make great bodies, and have great a great lineup of lenses

is there really THAT much of an advantage to sell thousands of dollars of equipment to switch?

I can see for a certain niche one might be better than the other, but for all around use they seem pretty much equal.

please, no stupid responses (as I know that is pretty much how these threads end up)

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

It's a really stupid thing to do.

There's absolutely NO advantage of one company over the other.

3. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

The only people who switch are the ones who obsess about gear 24/7 and think that some minute difference in camera bodies is going to make them a better photographer.

AKA morons.

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Agreed with both up there. Some people just have money to burn and want the absolute best thing available at any given time. Canon and Nikon make great cameras, however they go back and fourth. Right now Nikon has an advantage with their latest cameras, but you'd be damn fool if you think Canon is not going to out do 'em with their late summer/early fall releases and then Nikon and so fourth. It's back and fourth and to be honest if you have know-how and keen eye for details you will be able to get great shots from 6-7 year old cameras still but people want the latest gadgets and are willing to change. It's all a numbers game with megapixles, frames per second, buffer etc which will be forever changing.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the only people i've seen switch are the ones that wanted a full frame camera without spending $8000. Other than that, it's all a bunch of retards thinking that the other brand is superior to theirs and they can't have that.

6. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

If you're switching from Nikon to Canon, then OTAP = You're a genius!

If you're switching from Canon to Nikon, then OTAP = You're a dumb gear whore and the brand won't make your shitty photos better.

:dunno:

The truth is, for some going in either direction is just a gear whore move, while for others is for a specific advantage. For example, Canon super tele's are better/cheaper than Nikon which is why many sports shooters choose Canon while Nikon generally has a better selection of wide to short tele and a better flash system. It also helps that Nikon can mount every F mount lens since the 50's and there are some excellent specialty lenses made by Nikon in that time.

The other truth is that OT cares WAY too much about the brand of gear a person shoots and how a person spends their money and that's just gay.

7. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

Quoted for truth.

I think people switch for good and bad reasons--some people think it'll make their shooting better, others realize that they're more comfortable with another brand, despite the fact that they've bought themselves knee-deep into a system. If you're comfortable with something else, it may cost you a lot to switch, but it's not a horrible idea to do so.

8. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

i honestly like how nikons feel better which is why i almost switched to nikon last summer. that was when i pretty much just had the kit lens and the cheapo 75-300mm zoom. but i decided to buy better glass and stick with canon. i still like how nikons feel/look better but that isnt a big deal at all. im glad i stayed with canon and decided to get better glass and ultimately a 40d. however i fucking hate the on/off switch on the non rebel canons. fucking worst designed and worst placed switch ever.

9. alexromo

alexromo New Member

its something ive always noticed but never understood

10. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

11. Jonny Chimpo

Honestly, why does it matter to you?

Sounds like the guy switched from Nikon to a FF Canon, didn't like it and is going back. Is that hard to understand? It's like I used to drive a German sedan, now I drive a British truck. I don't like it that much and my next car will be another German sedan.

People do it all the time (often on even more expensive items), but somehow when it's cameras you people get all sensitive about it.

12. Bloke

Bloke Banned

to be honest id like to have both, not one or the other. i cant ever bring myself to sell old bodies, lenses come and go.

13. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

your the one that seems to be a bit sensitive about it.

Im just curious on the differences because I am ignorant

14. Jonny Chimpo

:rolleyes:

You're not curious about the differences because you asked why people switch, not "what are the differences between Canon and Nikon" and then you go on to post stuff from POTN and call it ridiculous.

But then I'm the sensitive one. :rofl::rofl:

People switch brands on all manner of products constantly for many different reasons, yet only with cameras is it somehow a great cosmic mystery for OT.

I gave you several valid and not so valid reasons why people switch in the 6th post, but you're trying to turn this into some kind of serious debate or something. It boils down to a persons preferences and circumstances and the only answers you're going to get from OT is a bunch of assumptions and opinions. Why do people switch car brands? Why do they switch from PC to Mac? Why to they change their TV or furniture? Personal preference and occasionally legitimate specific need.

But go ahead and keep calling me sensitive if it make you feel better. :dunno:

BTW, check the other posts in this thread, I'm not the one calling these people stupid, morons or ridiculous.

15. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

because sometimes one company's offerings/business decisions seem much more appealing than the others.

take right now, this is how the two are going:

canon: -their flagship camera has had several problems, which have been widely criticized (maybe too widely than they deserve to be)
    -their prices seem to increase every couple months (in canada at least :dunno:)
    -their new cameras have very marginal upgrades and are not causing any stir, or any kind of innovation in the camera field.

nikon: -their D3 and D300 turned the market on its head, because of how revolutionary it was as a release. yes, nikon should have gone CMOS long ago, but it still had a massive effect.
    -there has been basically nothing but praise for both of these new bodies, and their performance in all situations and areas.
    -their prices are constantly going DOWN. right now their 70-200/2.8 is $300 cheaper than canon's, and according to many works FAR better on cropped sensors (full frame is another story)

Of course this is a huge generalization and simplification, but it's somewhat accurate. it's impossible to say "this is why". and it's only for D300 and D3, it's not like anyone is dropping $10k worth of canon to move in to a D80 or something :dunno:

16. mojito

mojito New Member

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

18. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

:rofl:

Thats a reason right there for nikon users to switch to canon
    :bowdown:

19. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

dated, dusty ass push pull lenses :bowdown:

20. Bloke

Bloke Banned

dated? they call that "optical signature" on the other forums. why do you think zeiss is releasing old ass "sonnar" lenses? they even make them in old nikon S-mount. people like character in things. pic http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2405671572_52fef58421_o.jpg

21. fuzzynaval

fuzzynaval Enlighten me

it's just brand preference...no reason to switch. Unless you want a D3...then all is understood.

22. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:werd: canon doesnt cater for cheap asses.

23. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I don't think it's our business. Let ppl do what they want. Maybe they like the way Canon bodies/lenses look, or maybe holding a Canon body in their hands are more comfortable etc. who knows

24. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

That is completely out of the scope of the threadstarter's mind.

For some people, photography is like religion--gotta hate on people that don't belong to the group they're in.

25. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

yea, this thread kinda went in the wrong direction, but I expected it to happen.

I got some good answers out of it though