Why do my speakers sound like ass?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Jan 3, 2008.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

I've got this reciever

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-5...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199372208&sr=8-2

and i just got these speakers from my dad last night,

[​IMG]
    (bottom)

they used to shake his house with the setup he had, and they have NO bass and the treble is high and sounds awful hooked up to my receiver...i've messed with the settings for like 2 hours and can't get anything...I also have a sub hooked up to the powered jack on the receiver (dunno if that matters, but it shouldn't...)

2. fuzion1029

fuzion1029 New Member

Does the woofer on the speaker move at all when it's plugged in, or does any sound come out of it?

3. David02

David02 Guest

Since you also have a sub hooked up, your receiver is probably sending all the low freq. signals to it.

Check the crossover freq. setting on your receiver and try lowering it significantly to see if you get more bass from your speakers.

Also, does your receiver have any kind of automatic speaker setup?

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Did you set them to a small setting on the receiver maybe??

5. tjamz

tjamz New Member

At work I can't see the pics due to firewall, but is it possible that you wired them out of phase (backwards)? That would explain just about every symptom you speak of.

6. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Thats what I was going to say.

7. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Yes, sound comes out of every one of the 3 speakers but the woofer does not move and if i turn up the bass on my equalizer it turns up the bass in the small top speakers and makes them sound horrible but makes no difference in the woofer

I'll try the freq. when i get a chance, got home too late to do it tonight :o

Yes, it has an automatic setup and I've tried using it as well as the manual set-up, both give me the same sound.

No sir, set them up as "Large Front"

I'm ALMOST positive they're right because i checked, but I will check again tomorrow.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When you touch the woofer cone, does it vibrate AT ALL when you play bass-heavy music?

Have you tried disconnecting the subwoofer to see what happens?

Did you make any notes about where things were plugged in when you took the speakers out of your dad's house, or did you just start yanking shit?

9. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

They vibrate a little bit, i can hear slight treble coming from them but the bass is about the same as the little speakers.

Have not tried disconnecting the woofer yet, i'll try it.

I just started yanking shit :o...i didn't think it'd be this hard to get them to work right...But im going to go back and check the setup at his house and see how they were set-up

10. dakayus

dakayus New Member

It could be leaky capacitors in the crossover, you could have hit the woofer's diaphragm to damage the spider coil, your receiver doesn't play those frequencies loud.
    Not to be an ass, but the receiver you have isn't very good, in contrast to their elite line. I'm not sure how yours sounds, but even the elites sound a bit shallow in terms of fullness.

11. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Do you have both the sony speaker and the technics hooked up to the same channel? If so just hook up the technics and see if it fixes the problem.