why do my car speakers cut out sometimes, but only when it's raining?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'll be listening and the speakers will shut off, but my subwoofer keeps working. 90% of the time when this happens, it's raining outside.

abd 90% of the time that it happens, when i shut off the head unit for a few minutes and then turn it back on, it will either go back to working, or play for a few seconds and then the speakers (but not the sub) will shut off again.

usually it doesnt last for more than a few minutes, but there was a period of 2 weeks when it was doing this during which I took it to a car audio shop to look at it and they pulled out the receiver and didn't know what was going on, so now i'm asking OT.

It only happens a few times per year. in fact, it hadnt happened for like 10 months, but it just happened again the other day (while it was drizzling/raining) and it made me think to ask OT.

Receiver is Pioneer Premier something from 4 years ago (forgot the model number but i can go check if i need to).

Front speakers are Pioneer, rear speakers are stock, sub is Alpine, amp (only powering the sub) is... oh crap i forgot. i'll have to check.

thanks.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

what car???

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

2002 honda civic EX

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

next time it does it, fade the speakers to the back... turn the deck off, and turn it back on... if it doesn't do it again after that, then one or both of your doors leaks water onto your speakers causing them to short... you should be able to see water stains on the speakers, if they're not still wet.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i will give that a try and report back (altho hopefully it won't ever happen again so i won't have to).