why do my blue ray movies look like poo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hawtteg, Dec 30, 2008.

1. hawtteg

hawtteg New Member

i picked up a new tv on boxing day, 46inch sharp aquos LCD 1080p.

i have it hooked up to my PS3 thru a good quality HDMI cable, when i play a game that's 1080p or even 720p it looks amazing, clear, sharp and everything.

however when i pay a blue ray movie, there is alot of grainy-ness to the picture, at first it thought it was the actual blue ray disc,(hancock) so i rented "wanted" and it was the same deal.

does my tv need to be calibrated? and if so how do i go about that?

thanks in advance.

2. David02

David02 Guest

Yes... a good calibration would probably do wonders for your TV. Get an Avia calibration disk and follow the instructions. Best place to get Avia is through Amazon.

Sharp TV's do not have very good color accuracy, so this will help you a lot.

3. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

I noticed the same thing when I had my ps3 playin bluray. I used the same hdmi cable hooked up to my 360 and then my bluray dvd player, and it looked like I had a dinosaur in my living room.

I'm putting my $$ on shitty bluray players (aka ps3)

4. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

lol the ps3 is far from a shitty bluray player. it's probably one of the best ones out.

5. HHOTEK

HHOTEK New Member

i have a 42 and using the ps3 to play blu rays with no problems at all
    how much does that avia disc help the setup?

6. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

Any REAL calibration disc in general will providene tremendous improvements to a TV set.

I worked for CC for 3+ years as an HTC and I used the Monster Music Live Calibration disc, loved it. 3 Doors Down + Tuning Picture and Sound = Happy Customer.

7. HHOTEK

HHOTEK New Member

ive got that 3 doors down disc but never used the video parts did not know it had video cali on it

8. iWanaWarmHole

iWanaWarmHole Jeep, Gun, Home Theater, MbP, Droid Inc.

i bet ur settings on the ps3 are jacked. the ps3 is one of THE best blu rays you can buy. did you get the system professionally installed? only $100 at BB. there are about 15 different settings that pertain to the dvd/blu side of the ps3. games only about 2 settings. and sharps are hard to do unless you know what ur doing

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A lot of Disney movies have calibration screens on them. It doesn't even need to be high-def, it just needs to have brightness/color/constrast screens for you to stare at while you fiddle.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's a complete waste of money. For me, that's a day's pay; for a lot of people, it's more than a day's pay. Anyone who can follow simple written instructions can calibrate their TV for free in less time than it takes to earn that $100.

Not to mention, if he pays someone to do it he'll never learn how, and if he so much as changes the wattage of the lightbulbs in that room he won't know how to adjust the TV to compensate.