why do most subs take more power to make loud now?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by idontgiveashit, Jan 3, 2003.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

Ive noticed that all my older subs i have dont require a whole lot of power to make as loud as most of the newer subs that need a lot of power to make jsut as loud. Why dont they just make subs more sensitive? I noticed that my impps were pretty sensetive and were loud for what they were...they also blew when i pumped too much in em..but thats besides the point.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

what are you using to judge loudness do you ahve a db meter

no thats what i thought

they are builing subs to take more powre as a result they become less eniitve bu will go louder tahn teh older subs

3. 04

04 Guest

With the advent of high powered Class D amplifiers where you can get 1000 true watts for 300 dollars or less, amplifier power is not as expensive as it used to be. The new thing is to design drivers that are very inefficient, with a very low free air resonance, and can be placed in very small boxes, and still have impressive low frequency output, as long as you have a ton of power. Back in the old days like the 60's and 70's, the thing to do was to have huge, highly efficient enclosures, with large diameter, low excursion drivers, because back then the power available was not near as cheap as it is today.

For instance, my 1803 is a 18" subwoofer. It only has the average cone area of a 15" woofer though. If you look at a PA driver, the 15" versions are usually quite a bit more efficient than the 1803. But the 1803 has the potential to be as loud as 4 or 5 of those 15", if given enough power.

Its all about tradeoffs.

4. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I'd say it's also because many subwoofer manufacturers are putting more of an emphasis on sound quality than boom. SQ subs take a little more juce to produce volume because of the tightness of the suspension (which yields tighter bass response).

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

blame it on engineers

6. 04

04 Guest

What on earth are you talking about????? A tighter suspension with all other things equal will raise the resonant frequency of the driver. Why the hell would that make "better sound quality"????

First, before you make any comments like that, know how a loudspeaker works.

The magnetic field offered by the motor provides MUCH MUCH MUCH more damping than the suspension ever could hope to. Don't believe me? Look at the driver's QMS value and compare it to the QES value. Notice how much lower the QES is??????

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

also would you reather have a 12 cubic foot box or a .75 cubic foot box and a bigger amp

?? it ocems down to what fits better

8. 04

04 Guest

Flynfrog brings up an important point. The larger the enclosure you put a woofer in, the more efficient it becomes. And todays subs are designed for very small cabinets. So its no wonder they are much less efficient than the subs of yesteryear.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you also have to look at ampilfier tecnolgy of back in teh day a 400 watt car amp was frigging huge

now if its under 1000 it aint shit so it made sense to use a huge box shoved into a mini van

today we can get subs taht will take 4000 + watts and fit into a small car and sinice amps take up less space than box you get a sub that takes a smaller box and requires more power