why do mmos have such shitty gameplay?

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Fareo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

are there any action MMORPGs like oblivion? i tried WoW, got bored , tried FF11 got bored.. looked into guild wars.. got bored looking am i just not an MMO player or am i looking at the wrong games?

:dunno:

2. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

darkfall is, but it kind of sucks.

RYL was, but it kind of sucked.

MMO's, kind of suck... i'm feeling more and more like they really just want you to waste your life paying them 15 dollars a month. As opposed to non-sub games where they have to make sure it's entertaining/worth it in order to make a profit off of reputation.

3. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i had this argument with a buddy of mine who said WoW gets more interactive later on when you quest together and i believe him, but i still think im gonna get a more personal interaction with another human being playing games like call of duty? adapting on the fly strategies where there are more variables then point and click...however i do enjoy games like Final Fantasy and Oblivion and Fallout but nothing ive played MMORPG comes close to the experiance i get with them?

and it cant be the "predetermined single player story" because i clocked a ungodly amount of hours in oblivion just running around collecting stuff talking to people doing random quest its was like i was playing a MMO but there wasnt anybody online at the time... :o

4. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

MMOs have this at many points in the game, they are just few and far between compared to the grinding that most MMOs have nowadays. For every high, there is a tenfold of lows.

5. Fareo

Fareo New Member

so your saying i shouldnt play MMOs then because we are in a downtime for them? :dunno:

6. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

That's the whole point of mmo's. Take a game like oblivion, fallout 3 or whatever single player game. Slow down the progression pace by 10x.

Mmo's are good for slightly to extremely obsessive people that "have to have" that next upgrade. It's like getting small hits of a good drug over and over. I would know i've been a mmo addict for years on and off.

It's not about gameplay it's about making you want to run the treadmill that is grinding for the fix and you'll pay to do this because there's that "mmo" part where you want to "impress" others or even just yourself.

Except in reality unless you are the 1% that paves the way for game guides and info for the rest of the playerbase (like the top raiders in wow) no one gives a flying fuck about your avatar or what you've done as much as you wish to believe so and you're left playing a game that rewards you very very slowly.

7. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

I'm saying if you don't mind trekking through a LOT of boring gameplay in order to reach extremely exciting gameplay that can't be matched by other genres, then play MMOs.

8. RogerThat

RogerThat New Member

Because all MMORPGs have SUCKED since Ultima Online. FACT.

9. Los

Los Active Member

its very difficult to suck off

10. Los

Los Active Member

and in a persistent MMO environment, its difficult to string an almost lag-free existence with high end graphics, especially when the market you want runs between mid-low range computers. Furthermore, you fail.

11. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Darkfall was fun but the graphics were subpar. Of course all that I ever accomplished in that game before I got crazy busy with work, social life, finding a second job was that I was able to make a stack of about 13k arrows which I was going to use to level archery... >.>

12. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

We just need a planet side 2:wtc:

13. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

most MMO gameplay is nothing groundbreaking. it has all been done before, maybe not to the T, but with minor adjustments here and there.

its basically an addiction. grind for that next piece of gear, then go for the next and the next etc.

i have always said if there was an oblivion MMO, it would be amazing since you can be and do anything you really want..like darkfall. problem is, no one seems to really want that. it will not bring in a huge subscriber base like WoW. it will be another niche game that will have a decent fanbase, and will be considered a success by the fanbase, but outside that it will be a "failure".

what many people fail to realize, is that aside from WoW, im not sure of any other MMO game with that large of a fanbase. plenty reach into the hundreds of thousands, but nothing into the multi-millions.

also, it depends on what you are looking for. in most games, people arent playing for the feel of it..they feel accepted by the community and they "hang out" with their friends/guildies online and they have fun doing that. others depend on being in the top 5 guilds and enjoy progressing with server firsts etc. others are just casuals who jump on for an hour or two per day, and never really do anything but scratch the surface.

i would absolutely LOVE a fallout 3 type MMO. fps/mmorpg is epic if done right. no VATs of course :mamoru:

14. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

wall of text.

15. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

In for Planetside 2.

Try Champions Online. I think they have a Block button for active defense, and some attacks that you can charge up with long keypresses. :dunno:

16. Spurious

Spurious New Member

You're not an MMO person, be glad.

17. Vysion

Vysion New Member

MMOs suck at the lower levels... they don't start getting fun until you've leveled up 20 times and the content gets more challenging.

They design them to be too easy in the beginning so that new players don't get too frustrated.

18. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Agree to this, but please before zerg vs zerg ruined it.