why do i usually get this "sandy" feeling when driving in the morning w/o warming up?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NPT, Jun 12, 2007.

1. NPT

NPT Guest

it's an integra, manual
    if i dont warm up the car in the morning, the car dont speed up very smoothly (like i said, it feel a little "sandy"), both in engine's sound and in the vibration of the car. i can even feel it in my foot that's on the clutch pedal too. this sandy feeling lasts for about 10 mins or something like that.

then again, it's just feeling. I could be just imagining it.
    Does anyone experience the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What kind of oil do you use? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?

3. NPT

NPT Guest

uhm, i dont know. the machenics changed oil for me. not sure about the transmission fluid. but i will check it out. which brands are good? (for both the oil and tranny fluid)

4. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

When was the last time you did a tune-up? Cap/rotor/plugs/check wires/etc...
    Year/model of teg? Clean idle or does it stumble? Check engine light?

Old tranny fluid would cause gear whine/difficult shifting. Honda MTF is the only way to go...
    The only reason the kind of oil would cause your car to run notably funny is if your rings are shot and you're burning oil... but that still wouldn't be related to the type... or if you're running something like 20w50 or some other ridiculous viscosity...

5. deusexaethera

Use only Mobil 1 oil, in whatever viscosity (aka "weight") is specified for your car unless you have a good reason to be using a different viscosity.

Use the transmission fluid recommended for your transmission, regardless of brand. If your transmission came with Bob's Homemade Tranny Fluid, go find Bob and buy some more from him.

If you have a stickshift, your clutch could be worn out and it's not gripping properly until it heats up. If you have an automatic, this is a non-issue.

- - -

Other ideas include: worn wheel bearings, worn axles, old timing belt, and dirty sparkplugs.

Wheel bearings are finicky things when they start to wear out, in that their temperature has a lot to do with when they make noise and when they don't. If your wheel bearings are just starting to go bad, they could grind a bit and make some noise until the bearings heat up and expand to fill the available space. If they're really worn out, they'll be quiet until the grease heats up and thins out, and then they'll start vibrating.

You can get the flex joints on the axles replaced separately, but the axle rod itself is just a hollow tube and represents almost none of the total cost of a new axle, so if your flex joints are shot you might as well get whole new axles so you know they were put together by people who know how to build axles, instead of by the dude at the Exxon station.

If the timing belt is old, it will prevent the valves from opening and closing at the proper times, which tends to cause the engine to run hotter and produce less usable power. Other than a feeling of general "blah"-ness, there isn't much else you can feel that will tell you it's time to change the timing belt.

If the sparkplugs are old and dirty, they could be fouling up with soot until the engine heats up and burns the soot off them. This is easy to fix: find out what kind of plugs your car originally came with (not the kind of plugs the dealer wants to sell you now), and then find out what the copper version of that original sparkplug is called. Order a new set online or have Autozone order them for you. (Copper plugs are best, even though they don't last as long as platinum or iridium plugs, because they make really hot sparks and then they cool off really fast afterwards.)

6. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Just by looking at the two thread subjects in the form, I'd say running without your airbox is NOT a good idea.

Sorry didn't read either thread but from the sounds of it....

7. NPT

NPT Guest

uhm, it happened before the airbox thing. so i dont think the two are that much related.

another thing i just found out is this:

car stands still, in neutral gear. I hold the clutch down to the floor and suddenly kick at the gas pedal to rev the engine up to 5k-6k rpm (under normal daily driving, i never go pass 4k rpm). as soon as the engine rev up to that range, my clutch foot will feel some little things hitting the clutch from under, about two or three times. it sounds like when you throw small pebbles at a glass window.
    so do you think some parts of the transmission were chipped, and the little chunks that fell off those parts were getting thrown around in there?

8. deusexaethera

:eek3:

Do what the guy says. If the flywheel comes off all hell will break loose. Even if it's not the flywheel, if bits of your clutch are rattling around inside the bell housing, that's a bad thing too.

9. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

If it's an older teg with a cable clutch, the clutch could just need adjusting... rather unlikely though... What I've seen several times is the springs inside the clutch disk breaking loose and rattling around or the rubber that holds them in place wearing out... they'll get thrown around and polish up the pressure plate quite nicely... Either way, if your not comfortable working on the clutch... its time for a mechanic...