Why do I get these blips on my screen?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illuminum, Oct 7, 2004.

1. illuminum

illuminum New Member

I just put a new computer together and I'v ebeen getting these strange black and white pixels on the screen. If you look at the pic below, you can see them near the icons on the desktop, the start menu, and some other places too. The placement of the pixels somewhat change when I highlight an icone and then un-highlight it. Sometimes the blips are there when I start up the computer and sometimes they aren't.

It's a system running windows XP with a ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card. I had made a pc almost identical to this one and didnt ever run into this problem.

Here's the pic:
    [​IMG]

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

3. illuminum

illuminum New Member

yeah, didn't really do much. I tried playing with the display settings too and that didnt help either.

4. skybreaker

skybreaker Guest

you may want to try this:
    http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

it's free for evaluation.
    in "tune up system control" -> "assistants" -> "solve problems" you can try to make windows re-scan the icon-cache.

maybe windows just fucked up the icons-directory.
    i had this (with win 2k), too and tune-up solved my problem (and many more)...

good luck!

5. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

only time I've had that happen was when I was overclocking my video card and it started to overheat- perhaps the heatsink on the video card isn't fully secured in place, giving you heating problems?