Why did polish not completely remove oxidation?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by KidNRG, May 7, 2002.

1. KidNRG

KidNRG Guest

Hey scott I need to know if my car is fixable. I just went out and did 3m polish and meguiar's professional and I must say it did a great job. But, some of my oxidized red is still there :confused: . Any tips on what i may be doing wrong? I applied it w/ horrid amounts of force and no red came off, I dunno, just need your help real bad. You all know that pink is not attractive :greddy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stew :big grin:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you mean to say when using a polish, no red was visible on the towels, then you have a clear coat and the problem is with the base coat-and with a clear coat over it, there is no way to correct it without repainting.

Your car is shining very nicely, but I think you have uncorrectable issues with the base coat-at least based on what you said and the pics of your car.

If you are serious about fixing the problem, it would seem to me it needs to be repainted (of course, without seeing the car, I cannot guarantee that). To get a proper factory (or higher) level paint job, you are looking at $2500+. Try www.mistercollision.com

3. KidNRG

KidNRG Guest

Is there anything I can do to prevent further oxidation of the paint other than wax? Thanks :)

4. Scottwax

If the paint is oxidizing under the clear coat, nothing you can do will help.

5. luvthong

luvthong Guest

So if my car has a clearcoat, and it's oxidzed, what can I do to remove the oxization?

6. Scottwax

luvthong-normally, a clear coated finish will not oxidize. There are instances where the base coat is defective and will deterorate under the clear coat and only repainting will fix it.

If a clear coated car looks a bit dull, it usually means the clear coat needs polishing to bring back the shine.

7. luvthong

luvthong Guest

Thanks, cause I have a 97 integra I bought it brand new. But I was too lazy to wax it, however, I dod wash it like once every other week. So last summer, I decided to have a detailer who is a mobile retailer that come to my company once a month to detail my car and he told me my paint has a little bit oxization and it needs to be fix. So anyway, cause I don't know OT & wax at that time so I said whatever, just fix it for me. After the detail, the car feel better & more shine but I still think it's not up to the smooth & shine of my expectation. I came across Zaino and I ordered from them, but I'm a busy guy and can't really find a full day or two to do the initial wax for Zaino.
    Since I bought the Zaino already so I finally can have a day or so to just detailing my car the coming weekend, but I come across this forum and seems like Meguiar's is the brand name to go with, I'm kind of feeling, what should I use??

8. Scottwax

The Zainos system is real good, but very time consuming initially. You will get a very reflective and mirror like shine with Zainos. With carnuba based waxes like Meguiars #26, you will get a wetter looking shine, but not quite as reflective. You will also have to wax more often.

A real good combination is to use the Zainos system then top with P21S, aka S100 at Harley Davidson dealers. That way you get the mirror finish and durability of Zainos with a shimmering wet gloss that you get from P21S.