Why damper the applicator?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jerboy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

Why dampen the applicator?

I have a tub of Turtle wax here and the instruction says to dampen the applicator.

Water+wax do not go together. Why dampen the applicator?

Edit: I meant dampen. I have no idea how I typed damper. Brain fart.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2005
  2. J R B

J R B The pink pills are for your sanity, we are buried

To help it glide over the surface better so you don't scratch the surface I would assume.

3. GJBenn85

GJBenn85 New Member

Ease of application and using less product are two reasons. A lot of enthusiasts use a technique called the spit shine method and it involves cold, distilled water or a quick detailer. While spit shining is usually used to try to layer the wax, I use it so less product is used (when using $25-70 jars of wax, you want to make each jar last as long as possible ;) ).

4. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Actually, what your referring to is called seasoning. Products penetrate and spread a lot easier if the pad is pre moistened. Water will work fine in mostcases, as will a quick detailer........

5. GJBenn85

GJBenn85 New Member

Completely different. When using a foam applicator, you are using it on a 99% clean surface. When washing a car with a sponge, however, the dirt and debris really does not have anywhere to go except the surface of the sponge and that is where the risk comes in. Sheepskin and chenille mitts (I prefer sheepskin) at least have a deep pile so the dirt/debris can work its way into the mitt instead of just sitting on the surface. A "dip and shake" in a rinse bucket such that the mitt "blooms" will remove the dirt and debris from within mitt.

6. GJBenn85

GJBenn85 New Member

Preventing swirls/scratches is still more than just using the right mitt and number of buckets. Car wash, pressure, how soiled the car is, towels used, etc., all determine if you will have a near marr free wash.

And yes, it is impossible to keep dust from falling onto the car when doing anything. The surface is never 100% clean which is why care is still required after a wash.

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Then what would you suggest as an applicator?

If you try to apply a product with a Terry towel or a MF towel, then it gets too gumbed up after awhile from the product that the surface is even worse than a sponge.

Like already mentioned, washing with a sponge vs. applying products with a sponge are completely different.