A&P why choose Nikon or Canon?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Steve325, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I'm not trying to start up a flame fest, but I'm just curious (for the NON-PROS) what made you choose this route?

I'm just seeing companies that are offering better things on the table and people still continue to pay double the price for accessories/bodies

2. mucky

mucky .

Yes you are. These kind of threads ALWAYS does and goes to the point of being worthless by the end of page 1.

3. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

because I like the name canon

makes me think of pirates

4. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

better things such as?

5. ARRRGGGGHHHHH MATEY!!!!!! :beer:

6. Squally

Squally New Member

:rofl:

I chose canon because my DV camera is a Canon and I like it. I like their glass. The Canon fits my hands better than the Nikon.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

depends on the models. from Canon I would use the 1dII (oh wait, I do) fro Nikon the d2xs.

if canon doesn't bring some of the d2xs features into the next flagship model, I'm gonna be pissed

8. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

I chose my camera (20D) because it fit the most comfortable in my hand given my price range. A D50 fits equally as well, but it wasn't available when I purchased my camera.

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I chose d50 because it felt better in my hand, and I ususally like to think the underdog has to try harder, so hopefully they outperform canon to try to catch up :dunno:

10. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Because Nikon and Canon make way more lenses than the other companies.

11. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

really? what are those features..this really surprised me hearing it

12. mojito

mojito New Member

I think all nikons have a better metering system and better spread of AF points, but the d2xs has all this crap that I would like to see available, or atleast addressed by Canon:

Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure
    The Multiple Exposure function creates a single image from up to 10 exposures. The D2Xs also offers an Image Overlay function that merges selected RAW (NEF) files already stored on the CF card to create a new image file within the camera.

The eye-level viewfinder features frame coverage of virtually 100% and a 19.9mm eyepoint. Information bars along the bottom and right edges display the current white balance mode, image quality and size settings, ISO setting and more. (Actual settings in the viewfinder, what a concept)

In-camera Image Trimming
    RAW, TIFF and JPEG images taken using the D2Xs can be trimmed within the camera to produce images of reduced display sizes ranging from 640x480 to 2560x1920 pixels. The smaller files that result can help improve workflow efficiency by eliminating the time required to download and perform software editing within a computer. (Assuming that this keeps the orignials intact)

Lithium-ion Battery System with Even Greater Power
    The EN-EL4a rechargeable lithium-ion battery retains the same form, but features significantly increased capacity that delivers enough power for up to 3400 shots per charge. The system's real-time status display gives accurate feedback on the percentage of remaining battery charge, the number of shots taken since the last charge, the overall status of service life, as well as notification when calibration is recommended. Furthermore, the Battery can be recharged at any time or any level, features extended service life, and performs well at low temperatures.

GPS support (optional)
    With the optional MC-35 GPS Adapter Cord, location information such as latitude, longitude, altitude and heading (direction) can be transferred from a GPS device and recorded with the shooting data for each image. (Probably would never use, but its a sweet option)

13. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

woow thats really cool..of those things I only knew about the in camera cropping which I found outstanding, considering the type of people that would be using that camera.

14. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

More things Canon needs to improve on:

Autofocus accuracy in continuous tracking modes. 1dmkII + AI-Servo = first frame never in focus.

AutoISO control. Most people will not use it because they don't understand it or don't need it. It is awesome for people with a brain and an application.

Better TTL flash metering and an improved wireless flash system. iTTL is reliable, CLS is extremely powerful.

Where are the pc-sync ports on your $200, $300 and $400 speedlights Canon ?

Autofocus grid arrays. Yes viper has said it, but I'll reiterate -- Who needs 45 autofocus points when they're all at the center? Not all of them are cross sensors either. Divide the frame into a grid of 9 or 16 squares and let the camera operator easily manage which point they want their autofocus to track. 45 points and a wheel is a ridiculous interface. Pick a few well placed points and make as many cross sensors if possible.

15. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I :love: CLS and I abuse it as much as I can

16. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

I like Nikon glass

and i like the way my nikon feels in my hand.

and i have a shit load of 35mm Nikkor lenses

17. CowboysJunkie

CowboysJunkie Active Member

Started with a Canon Snappy (first camera I owned personally), and owned nothing but Canon gear since I was about 12 (my parents' AE-1 was my first real exposure to photography). Don't ask me why. Probably just sticking with what I know.

18. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Canon's high iso image quality is the benchmark for others in the DSLR community. Their telephoto lens selection is also damn good.

19. yonson

yonson OT sux... OT Supporter

I couldn't decide on Canon or Nikon either, so I borrowed a D70 and a Rebel XT from a couple of friends and tried them both out. I took about 200 shots with each camera of various things, then compared the shots, and how the camera felt to me. I ended up liking the Nikon more and have been very happy with my choice.

20. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

1. I had plenty of Nikon mount lenses to choose from if I decided to borrow them.
    2. the 300d's start up time and cheap feel wasn't a plus for me (350 wasn't out yet)
    3. I hated the way the kit lens zoomed in (direction wise, even though I know now that it isn't just a canon thing)
    4. the d70 fit my hands better than I expected.

21. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

When I got my 350D I was tempted to get the D70. What made me choose the Canon lower noise at high ISO (I shoot a lot in low light) and my previous camera (S2 IS) was absolutely incredible for what it was.

I'm more than happy with my decision, although I think I need to get me some new glass. I hate not being able to take telephoto shots.

22. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

If you go up to the higher end pro cameras I think canon has a huge upperhand in terms of quality of glass and cameras, but for lower-mid-range nikons the way to go .

23. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Nikon and Canon are BOTH needed in the arena for competition and evolution. With only 1 major player, innovation stops.

If you already have a bunch of lenses your decision is already made.

I chose the D70 over the 300D because of functionality, and being able to access virtually all important functions without delving into the menus. Compared with the 300D, the D70 does not get in the way of taking a photo at all. I literally picked it up out of the box and within a few minutes I had a good handle on all the functions. That's superb usability, I still can't figure out how 300Ds work :p

If I was choosing a pro body, like chly says, my choice may be the other way around. Basically, pick your price point and see which camera is better :)

24. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I chose the D70 over the 300D and the 10D when I was buying, although I really liked the 10D's image quality and ISO100 + mirror lockup, I chose the D70 because it allowed me to have a better KIT lens + extra glass for the same price.... I also liked the feel/handling layout of the D70 better than the Canon.

25. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Dollar for dollar I'd have a Nikon over Canon based on my previous experience with both. I bought the XT to save $300 and now wish I had spent the money.