Why can't marketing people at least consult with technical people?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Jun 12, 2008.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

[​IMG]

How can a +R and -R get marked as "great" for "playing video on a home DVD player but a +R DL and -R DL only get marked as "okay".

How can a +R and -R get marked as "great" for backing up data, but a +R DL and -R DL are not even recommended for data backup?

How can a +R, -R, and +RW gets marked as "great" for backing up data but the -RW only gets "okay".

How can a +R, -R, +RW, and -RW get recommended as "great" for archiving photos, music, video, and data, but the +R DL and -R DL are not even recommended?

And how can you only recommend +R and -R for distributing "large" files and not recommend the DL formats? I mean if it's LARGE you want DL. Duh.

And I'm shocked they even recommend ANY "R" format for achival purposes. DVD-RAM is the only mainstream optical format I think is acceptable for mainstream archival use.

Fucking marketing people. They wanted a fancy chart but can't even apply basic logic to it!

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

The haphazard placing of blocks to indicate utility seems like it would be even more confusing to consumers than just explaining the difference between the formats, and that's assuming the chart was actually even correct. Which it isn't.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

How often do you encounter truth or logic in marketing?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's really the underlying point of the thread. We need some integrity to be injected in this industry!

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Integrity only works on those who actually need what you're selling. A good marketer is one who can convince people that they need your product when they actually don't.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, to use the example i posted...... that chart is on the side of a 100 pack of dvd+r media that i just purchased. Memorex makes all of the different kinds of media that chart indicates. It would be *benefitial* to memorex to aide customers in selecting the correct format for their intended task so that they can properly accomplish their goals, and there opinion of memorex products will be good.

So it would benefit memorex to exercise integrity, and do the chart properly.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i bought some dvd+r dual layer discs a little while ago, i got a laugh when i say that it was not recommended for large data files

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Because tech people's box list would look even worse.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i didn't say the tech people should make the box. but the marketing people should consult with the tech people to determine what is crucial, and to get things accurate.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I find the whole + and - thing confusing - what the fuck is the point of it?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

two different formats. +R technically supports a few more features and is better for non-sequential access. Back-in-the-day, however, -R was more compatible -- ergo, more popular. Now-a-days products support both formats, so I recommend +R... Except for people that have older dvd players or devices that have issues with the format.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats a marketing cluster fuck right there. The fact that there are so many formats.

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

what surprises me is that they did not promote dual layer and RW more than single layer discs...you would think that they would want to promote more expensive media, regardless of whether you might need it or not

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well you can't be mad at them for not promoting the more expensive product for the sake of it being more expensive.

but in areas where it is genuinely better -- such as storage of large files -- how could you not support it?

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Come on dude. You know nobody pays any attention to that shit anyway. Do you really need recommendations on what kind of disc to store your divorce papers on? No, you don't.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't. But most people do.

Come on yourself, dude. If there was more accuracy in this crap, our jobs would be easier.

17. deusexaethera

Possibly. I generally find it best to advise people on what to buy before they buy it (and with half of my company's employees working from home, there's plenty of personal purchases for work-related computers), but I guess if you're in a position where you have to explain to Joe Customer why the $100 widget he just bought is totally useless to him, then accurate info would help. Unfortunately, the faulty info on the box is only one prong in a trifecta which also includes clueless uninterested store employees (Best Buy anyone) and equally clueless customers.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my experince with the employees of those types of stores is that they are very interested (paid on commission) but since they only know what they read off the boxes of the product their store carries, they're essentially worthless. If the boxes were more accurate, it would help (not neccessarily solve -- but certainly help) the 2nd prong of your trifecta. Once you have good information on the box and from the employee, you will slowly start to help improve the customer's knowledge -- taking care of the 3rd prong and completing your "trifecta".

19. deusexaethera

I have a lighter called "trifecta". It's made by Colibri and cost $100. It too is completely useless, because the fucking burners got too hot and stopped working. :mamoru:

[​IMG]

It looks nice though.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I still have a zippo with my initials engraved in it, given to me by my highschool sweetheart :o

21. deusexaethera

I used to have a zippo, but they always dried up too fast.

22. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Trifecta is nice :hs:

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

So, what is the consensus? Is there any justification at all for that chart or is it just random? Is + actually better in the real world or does everything just end up being equal now that we're past the initial release and most current players will play any of these? Is it more about the brand you have access to over the + or -?

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Assuming the same brand, +R gives a few more features over -R, but -R is still more accessible on older hardware.

The "better" format depends on what your needs are.

If I were making the chart, it would look like this:

[​IMG]

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That looks like marketing people did consult with technical people.