Why can't I watch my DVD's in HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, May 28, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have the 23" HD cinema display, yet when I play a DVD (Finding Nemo in this case) it plays with the quality of a DVD on a computer.

I read that it can play HD movies made in DVD Studio Pro (later burned to DVD), but why not a regular movie?

Computer is a dual 2.3 G5. It's not a big deal since I normally watch them at minimum sized in the corner while I work. But it'd be nice.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DVD resolution is 720x480. HD Resolution is 1920x1080.

I think it's obvious why your DVD is not going to be "HD"...

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Bu shouldn't it look like I was watching a DVD on a 23" HD tv? Crisp, clean lines & vivid colors?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes... but I don't see where you're saying that it doesn't... What is wrong with the quality?

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

When you watch a DVD normally on a computer you can see teh compression & some noise in the video. I just thought that when I watched a DVD on a HD monitor it would look like the HD trailers off Apple's site (which look & play AMAZING).

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

the first few minutes of a dvd that i watch on my powerbook and 24" dell lcd looks a little weird. i dont know if its b/c all the pixels have to be warmed up but a couple minutes into it it looks fine. crisp everywhere :dunno:

7. Icedog

Icedog New Member

DVDs aren't HD. The HD DVDs won't be out until later this year or next. There are two competing formats right now, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

8. Icedog

Icedog New Member

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=301032