Why can't I save pics as .jpg (Only .JPG) - Firefox problem I think

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris87, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

I have Windows XP and I use Firefox. I think Firefox is the problem. I try to save pictures off the internet, and when i FF they only allow me to save them as ".JPG" as opposed to ".jpg" It really gets annoying when I try to upload these pics in some uploaders, and ".JPG" files aren't recognizable, so I have to manually retype the ending to ".jpg". It doesn't sound like that big of a problem, but it's time consuming.

And I also can't go into MS Paint and "save as" the file to something ending in ".jpg". Doesn't work for me. :(

Any Ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If it's happening MSPaint, then it doesn't sound like a FF issue.
    Sounds stupid, but start with a virus and spyware scan followed by ScanDisk and just for grins a Defrag and see if anything changes.
    Might not make since, but I've seen spyware act on the OS in many many strange and bizarre ways in the past so I don't hold anything past what it might screw with these days

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

When I save an image in FF I get a dialog like this:

[​IMG]

By default it saves it with whatever extension it has on the original :dunno:

4. Chris87

I run massive amounts of spyware programs and virus stuff... AVG, Norton, spywareblaster, spyware dr, spybot, adaware, spysweeper, and microsoft Beta, so I doubt something like that is the cause of this. I'm guessing its some XP setting or FF setting. :dunno:

While browsing OT in FF, I tried to save Penguin Man's av.. This is the box that came up:
    Note: It got cut off at the bottom, but the "JPEG Image" was the only option I had.

[​IMG]

Then when I went to save the printed screen in MSPaint, here is the box that came up...

[​IMG]

Also note, when i'm looking in my files, none of the extensions show up on the end of the names. I don't know if this is an XP thing or what, but in my old WIN98SE a picture file would show up as picture2.jpg... Now in XP, it'll just show up as picture2 and that's it. If I look at the properties, it'll show up as picture2.JPG. .txt files don't show the ".txt", .exe files don't show the ".exe" on the end, etc. See below:

[​IMG]

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ah, I believe there's an option in the Windows Explorer prefs somewhere to hide file extensions for known types. Turn that option off and I think that'll fix it. I fucking hate when that option is turned on and I can't see the damn extensions.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Does it work in IE?? If so, problem solved and firefox is the problem.

And if you open Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View, there will be a box you can check or un-check to show/hide file extensions of known file types.

7. Chris87

Ok sweet. I went in and changed the file extension showing bit of my problem, but i'm still having problems w/ MSPaint.

Even when using IE, and saving the pics as ".jpg" like I want to, when I modify these pictures in MSPaint, It reverts back to saving them as ".JPG"

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Mine does too. Maybe that's just how Paint is?

9. Chris87

This really really pisses me off. MSPaint.... You suck! :madfawk: