Why can't I hook up my TV as a monitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thedude11, Sep 21, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Repost from the main because no one responded and I'd like some assistance. :hsd:

My laptop only has a VGA port so I'm using that on my new Samsung HDTV (This one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN22A330-22-Inch-720p-HDTV/dp/B00141AZ0O).

I hooked the VGA cable up to my TV and laptop, changed the mode to PC, and it said "mode not supported" or "mode not available"... can't remember.

I played around with my display settings on my computer but there was nothing that stood out as obvious. :o

2. Saberwin

Saberwin New Member

Get that issue with my desktop computer. I had to change the displays resolution because it was defaulting to an unsupported resolution. I did this by hooking it up to my normal monitor and the TV at the same time through the 2 ports on my video card.

Just make sure you select the correct monitor when you are changing the resolutions. If you can't find a wide screen resolution your laptops video card just may not support a resolution the TV can handle.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Ah, so does my monitor have to be set on the specific resolution that the TV is at? I've never done this before..:o

4. Hyudra

Hyudra New Member

ya 1024x768 is normally supported

5. Hyudra

Hyudra New Member

well in my case 1360 x768.

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:wtf:

My TV is 1680x1050. I set the second monitor resolution to that and extended my Windows desktop to it. As soon as I hit apply, nothing happened to the TV and my laptop just displayed my background...everything else is gone.

I've tried using the Fn + monitor key on my computer to send the image to the TV but that doesn't do anything either.

I know it shouldn't be this difficult... it's starting to piss me off. :o

7. Hyudra

Hyudra New Member

start at a low resolution, then move higher

oh also make sure the refresh rate isn't higher than 60hrz

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

umm... the nvidia control panel sets it all up automatically, I've done with 2 1080i and 1 1080p TV's and it was literally as easy as going to multiple display config in the nvidia control panel and selecting which mode I wanted (stretch, clone, independant, etc)

9. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

wrong forum

10. mre

mre New Member

are you sure the laptop does not have an svideo port?
    every laptop i have seen has had one, its pretty standard since alot of people sync to a display for presentations.
    and try plugging the cord in while the laptop is OFF, and tv in tv mode.
    then flip them on laptop first

11. Repost

Repost PENCIL DICK

wtf i'm pretty sure it's not this hard.

I plug mine in (42") and it comes up straight away.

12. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

OnT --> Computers and Programming

13. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

I'm currently doing this with my laptop through hdmi at the moment and it works perfectly. Either you're television doesn't support the resolution that your computer is outputting or your video card doesnt support outputting to your TV at all.

Check to see if you have the most up to date video drivers for your card and check the manual for the highest supported resolution on your tv. Also check your dual monitor settings in the video settings. It'll have a #1 and #2 monitor setting, one for the laptop monitor and another for the television.

Play with that for a bit, hopefully that helps.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Start at 640x480 and work your way up. HDTV supports up to either ?x720 or ?x1080, depending on what kind of TV you bought.

Also, you need to make sure the computer isn't trying to use the TV as a second screen, but rather as a replacement for the built-in screen.

In any event, using VGA to do this sort of thing is generally a huge pain in the ass, because VGA doesn't carry a timing signal with it like DVI/HDMI does, and that means the picture won't be centered and scaled to fit the screen properly. If there's any way you can get a DVI or HDMI connection to your laptop (usually an official docking station will have one if the laptop itself doesn't), that will make your life infinitely easier -- in this one small respect, anyway.