Why can't I get identd to work on my PC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HipHopHead, Apr 28, 2008.

1. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

Trying to connect to some sites but identd is not working. I had XP Pro before and everything worked fine. I didn't even have to forward any ports on my router or anything. Now I got a new PC with Vista Ultimate and using the same router (WRT54G) and everything I can't get it to work. I tried forwarding port 113, tried using other ports, my router even has a identd check box and it don't matter if it's ticked or not. Tried downloading some other identd servers I googled and everything else I could think of. NOTHING WORKS AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

If I hook directly up to my cable modem and bypass the router everything works fine so obviously it has something to do with the router but it worked fine with XP just the other day so I'm stumped.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

identd == bad. why do you even want it?

3. HipHopHead

because when I log into some sites w/o it, it hangs for a bit while it checks it before it connects and it's buggin me.

Why is it bad?

thats a lot of it's. :o

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's fucking useless. It's sooooo easy to spoof, and when you run a true ident service you're just releasing info that you really shouldn't be giving out.

are you using IRC or something? Get a decent client that sends ident info instead of messing with shitty services, or just fucking deal with the 10sec extra it takes. I use Trillian and it connects on startup and stays in the system tray until I need to join a channel.

5. HipHopHead